Need advice about potential peanut allergy

*Star*

Reaction score
Okay apologies if this s long but i could really do with a bit of help.

Oliver is my middle child, he's 16 months old now.
During the summer he had a bit of peanut butter and a few days later he came up with a rash on his face.
It looked a bit like an ezcema rash, but I just thought it was a flare up or a general rash and although him having peanut butter the day or so earlier i didnt really think it was that.

About a month after that he had some more peanut butter, and this time, within a few hours his whole face had this rash and his face was puffy as well. It stayed like this for about 5 days or so.

So after he flared up again for the 2nd time I took him to the Dr while he still had the rash. The Dr was pretty dismissive. Said that it looked like a flare up of ezcema and gave me some cream for it. Basically said that we should avoid anything to do with peanuts and nuts until he is a lot older.

Okay, so I went away not very happy. I did some research on the net and found that flare up of ezcema can actually be caused by an allergic reaction. For the fact that the 2nd time he was exposed to it he reacted quicker and was a lot worse (neither time did he seem to have any swelling in the throat or breathing problems).

So since then I've kept him away from peanuts. BUT how long can I realistically avoid him potentially coming into contact with peanuts. I feel like I'm in limbo in a way. He might be allergic, or he might not...

If he isn't then great obviously, but if he is, and he comes into contact with it again when were out and about somewhere, and the reaction is a lot worse, of course peanuts allergies can be one of the worst allergies for reaction times and severity.

So when the health visitor came round to weigh Amelia last week I spoke to her about it.
She agrees that it potentially could be a peanut allergy. And she seemed to listen more about my concerns about it than the Dr did.

She tells me that raelly he needs to be exposed to the allergen again to see if he reacts to it again. If he does then it's definate a peanut allergy then we can go down the route that takes us.

As Mark's parents live across from A+E she said we should give him a little bit of peanut butter while we are at their house. Then if he does react we are 2 mins away from getting him seen straight away. IS this really a good idea? She said that if he has any reaction to the peanut then we should take him over to A+E straight away so that they can assess him and treat him if he needs to be.

Do you think its a good idea? isnt it better for him to be allergy tested? the gp didnt seem interested in that. can i do itprivately?

It might just be me but risking it - just because they are close to A+E seems a bit silly. Surely it'd be better to get to get proper diagnostic tests done? I do believe there is a test they can do for nut allergy which could be done in hospital under the correct conditions.

I wouldn't do the home thing because you never know how serious a reaction could be! Can you go and see a different doctor? :hug: :hug:

yeah this is what i worry about.
i mean, 2 mins could make all the difference couldn't it.

ive spoke to the dr about it, and the nurse when i took him for his injections. and now his health visitor.

and so far ive had - no nothing just avoid nuts, and then try it ourselves close to A+E.
im going to have a look online see if i can find out about private allergy testing. see how much that is.

Gah, I hate their attitudes towards it. I've had a severe peanut allergy since I was very little, and it started off with lumpy lips that went away after a few mins or so, after eating something with peanuts in. I now have to carry an adrenaline injector pen with me as it developed into an allergy that results in anaphylactic shock. I have a friend who had exactly the same, started off with lumpy lips and a rash, and has grown out of it during childhood. You just dont know which way it'll go. I guess most people grow out of it, but some don't, obviously.

There's no other safe way of checking it out without having an allergy test. I may be able to try eating peanuts again to see if I'm still allergic as I haven't had an anaphylaxic shock for years now - but in hospital under controlled environment! I wouldn't risk trying it even if you are 2 mins away from A&E. I'm going to insist on allergy testing for my LO, reaction or not. Can you see a different doctor at your surgery? I'd go through all the doctors till I saw someone who did what I wanted :lol:

Hope you get it sorted for your peace of mind :hug:

My eldest Jamie has a possible peanut allergy and we have always just avoided them since we have been suspicious, however when he started school we were aware we needed this confirmed either way. We went to our gp and got him referred to the allergy clinic (after some persuasion). He has been seen by a very nice consultant and are awaiting results but have been told to keep him on a nut free diet until we know. The gp told us that the allergen should only be introduced in a controlled environment ie allergy clinic as they could need immediate medical attention.

We were under the impression that it would be a skin prick test but apparently they have to do it through blood tests as they are more accurate. My advice would go back to the gp and demand that you are given a referral to a paediatric consultant because even if the initial reaction is mild, it can intensify each time the possible allergen is introduced.

Good luck hun :hug:

thanks so much for your advicer.
i dont know if i am worrying more than i should over it. but it just seems just way too coincidental for the two occassions he's had peanut products his face gets all blotchy.

the frst time he just got a rash, the 2nd time the rash appeared quicker and his eyes went all puffy. im worried if the next time it happened it will affect breathing and all that.

purplebluered said:
Gah, I hate their attitudes towards it. I've had a severe peanut allergy since I was very little, and it started off with lumpy lips that went away after a few mins or so, after eating something with peanuts in. I now have to carry an adrenaline injector pen with me as it developed into an allergy that results in anaphylactic shock. I have a friend who had exactly the same, started off with lumpy lips and a rash, and has grown out of it during childhood. You just dont know which way it'll go. I guess most people grow out of it, but some don't, obviously.

There's no other safe way of checking it out without having an allergy test. I may be able to try eating peanuts again to see if I'm still allergic as I haven't had an anaphylaxic shock for years now - but in hospital under controlled environment! I wouldn't risk trying it even if you are 2 mins away from A&E. I'm going to insist on allergy testing for my LO, reaction or not. Can you see a different doctor at your surgery? I'd go through all the doctors till I saw someone who did what I wanted :lol:

I am the same. Peanut allergies are life threatening. I nearly died 2 days after having Tom when I ate fish - IN THE BLOODY HOSPITAL - that had been cooked in ground nut oil which is the same as peanut oil. The reaction was frighteningly fast and 2 minutes would've made a lot of difference.

I don't think you can chance anaphylaxis. I'd put your foot down and insist on some proper tests. It could save your LO's life.

LucyBee said:
purplebluered said:

I am the same. Peanut allergies are life threatening. I nearly died 2 days after having Tom when I ate fish - IN THE BLOODY HOSPITAL - that had been cooked in ground nut oil which is the same as peanut oil. The reaction was frighteningly fast and 2 minutes would've made a lot of difference.

I don't think you can chance anaphylaxis. I'd put your foot down and insist on some proper tests. It could save your LO's life.

WHAT???? I'm glad I insisted on having an allergen free menu when I was in hosp after my LO. Honestly, why on earth did they use ground nut oil in a hospital? You'd never think to ask about nuts with you order fish! I always ask about nuts wherever I go but not in obvious places like at the chippie. That's made me realise I just can't be complacent. :hug:

purplebluered said:
WHAT???? I'm glad I insisted on having an allergen free menu when I was in hosp after my LO. Honestly, why on earth did they use ground nut oil in a hospital? You'd never think to ask about nuts with you order fish! I always ask about nuts wherever I go but not in obvious places like at the chippie. That's made me realise I just can't be complacent. :hug:

I know! Can you believe it?! It was ALL over my notes and I even had a wristband on with 'NUTS' written in red pen!

It was a really, really serious reaction. I was slipping in and out of consciousness. I nearly died. I was in high-dependency and was on my way to Intensive Care with the anaesthetist decided to try magnesium which just halted the reaction completely.

I lost a whole day with Tom and I honestly thought Ali would be taking him home on his own. It was so heartbreaking and I think it contributed to my PND.

I wrote to the hospital and made a formal complaint. They are now labelling all of their trolley food and ensuring that anyone with nut allergies is given a menu in advance of the trolley arriving.

It really made me realise how complacent I can be too. Not any more though!

Lxx

PS: Definitely worth asking at the chippie as groundnut oil is sometimes used as it makes food crispier. Groundnut is the same as peanut apparently. They also use it in chinese for the same reasons. x

wow i didnt realise that they use nut products in so much stuff!

thanks girls - it sounds so worrying that you a reaction that is SO extreme.
ill be so upset if oliver does have an allergy, but i know ill do anything for him.

what do you two think with how he reacted. do you think it sounds like it could be a peanut allergy?

The puffy face and rash definitely sound like an allergic reaction.
I don't think you'd be able to tell if his throat was swollen as when mine swells up, it is quite far down the throat where the food has passed over it.
Did he have any lumps on his lips?
I also get 'jelly' eyes that go all puffy and itchy.
Once, about 15 years ago, I had a really bad reaction and got a rash all over my body. Even down my toes and fingers. My whole face puffed up.
Hope I'm not scaring you but it is worth knowing how dangerous nut allergies can be.
Lucyx

PS: Don't worry about it or be upset if he does have an allergy. People are so allergy-aware now and all products are labelled clearly (unless you're on a labour ward apparently!). x

Lucy I really did not know that they use groundnut oil at the chippie - that's also made me realise just how complacent I've been. It's also reminded me that although I ask about nuts everywhere I go, I need to ask about nut oil too...I can think of lots of near misses I've had, like going to a friend's house and suddenly seeing that there was a bottle of groundnut oil next to the cooker, so just as she was serving I asked which oil she'd used. A minute later and I'd be on my way to hospital if I hadn't asked! Though I'm also allergic to almonds and I had a reaction to an apple pie that had almonds in it - the man behind the deli told me there were no nuts in it! :doh: Anyway really sorry you had to go through that, that's really awful. :hug:

Star, I really wouldn't like to say as I didn't see it and I don't want to worry you and what if I got it wrong, but anyway, but it does sound like it. Flare up of eczema is a symptom of an allergy, whenever I've had a reaction my eczema does get worse though I usually have a whole host of other symptoms i.e. lips and throat swelling, extreme itchiness, jelly eyes like Lucy, etc. Mine started off very young with little white lumps on my lips which went away after a while, but drove me mad with itching. I'd push for testing, it's the only safe and reliable way of finding out. :hug: I have found it manageable, and I've thankfully not had many anaphylactic shocks and my first one was when I was 9 or 10 and I've never had to use my injector pen. :hug:

i didnt notice any lumps on his lips. and i cant really remember if he rubbed his eyes or anything like that?

i have amelia in for her 6 week check soon so ill speak to the dr there again.

i will update you as soon as i speak to them

purplebluered said:
Lucy I really did not know that they use groundnut oil at the chippie

I don't think all chippies use it because it's expensive so only posh ones!

Good luck Star, let us know how you get on. x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JenniferU
Back