naughty foods

Tangerinedream

Reaction score
have you eaten anything you shouldnt be in pregnancy?

i have been eating loads of feta cheese recently (made in greece, mw said only eat stuff from the uk as its pasturised but cant find any) and ive had one portion of smoked salmon which is raw!

I had crunchy nut cornflakes too until i realised they had peanuts in :doh: (you would have thought i'd got the hint from the name :wall: :wall: )

Hi

Well i eat peanut butter almost daily and maple nut cereal in the morning i did with Kiara too and shes fine.
I think its different here andthe UK
I got a list of foods to snack on and one of the things were toast with peanut butter all the docs here say its fine :? so im not gonna complain :)
Katrina

I've pretty much stuck to normal food eating really but obviously avoided the stuff like uncooked ham, soft cheese (though I had philadelphia for a bit and then stopped it just in case), and runny eggs.. I did have mayo once that was from a pub and I didn't ask if it was pasturized.. it tasted a bit funny but hey. I've had a few glasses of wine (naughty I know) but the scans show the baby is healthy and growing at a good weight so as far as I'm concerned I'll just carry on how I'm going. I've not stopped eating nuts in things, as that could give them an allergy just as much as eating them, so I'm prepared to take the chance. I just think if it has nuts after it's born and isn't used to them, probably got much more chance of allergys.

Nothing wrong with philadelphia.

For me its just coleslaw, but I didn't know I wasn't supposed to have it so I didn't worry!

Peanut butter ( a lot!), prawns, a bit of mayo and B-B-Q'd oysters the other weekend!!!

i think nuts are ok unless u or OH has nut allergy or athsma. i cant have them as OH has a nut allergy and i hav asthma, but i didnt kno at first and i ate a tracker bar when i was about 9 or 10 weeks or something. hope it was too early to cause nut allergy- if she has one i'll blame myself and that tracker bar!

trixipaws said:
i think nuts are ok unless u or OH has nut allergy or athsma. i cant have them as OH has a nut allergy and i hav asthma, but i didnt kno at first and i ate a tracker bar when i was about 9 or 10 weeks or something. hope it was too early to cause nut allergy- if she has one i'll blame myself and that tracker bar!

its the same with me, OH has really bad heyfever every year, dont want LO to suffer with it, i want them to enjoy the summertime

I think I've only had the odd bit of brie or goats cheese. I haven't touched alcohol since before my BFP and don't like runny eggs anyway. I might have had the odd bit of mayo that I didn't check the origins of, but it doesn't seem to have done any harm.

I think that we can get ourselves too wound up about these things and I'm sure we'll all be fine.

Love

Valentine xxx

living in Greece I've eaten Feta cheese all the way through and my Doctor said s'long as it's bought from a shop and not 'home-made' should be ok, have stopped eating 'fresh' eggs though as dont always know where or what the hens have been eating!!!! I've eaten mayo loads as well and as long as it's not home-made it should be ok.

The only thing I didnt eat was at a wedding we went to and they had prawn cocktails and I didnt know how long they'd been made up for so I gave that a miss.

It's a miracle we can get enough nutrition inside of us at all, with all the things we can't eat. As someone who works a lot in Africa, I see on a regular basis beautiful healthy babies who are born to women who are malnourished and eat whatever they can get hold of. The babies are healthy, it is only when they make their entrance into the big wide world that their nutrition problems really begin. A tiny bit of feta isn't going to do you too much harm, and if it does, it's a fluke. The most recent major food recall was for bagged lettuce, possibly contaminated with Salmonella, and for processed meat, possibly contaminated with botulinum toxin. Where do you stop? My mother and all of my friends who had babies 20 years ago laugh at how much stuff I refuse to eat at the moment (I eat ANYTHING normally.) One friend, who is a former nanny and wife of a dairy farmer gave me no end of stick that I won't drink tea at her house because the milk comes straight from the cow. She reckons it didn't affect her 3 daughters (who are all built like teenage blond valkyries!)

I've decided I'm not going to panic too much any more.

If you can be bothered, this is worth a read;

CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL THE KIDS WHO WERE BORN IN THE

1940's, 50's, 60's and 70's !!

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a tin, and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, our baby cots were covered with bright coloured lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.

Riding in the back of a van - loose - was always great fun.

We drank water from the garden hosepipe and NOT from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.

We ate cakes, white bread and real butter and drank pop with sugar in it, but we weren't overweight because......

WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem .

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 99 channels on cable, no video tape movies, no surround sound, no cell phones, no text messaging, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat rooms..........WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents .

We played with worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

Made up games with sticks and tennis balls and although we were told it would happen, we did not poke out any eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just yelled for them!

Local teams had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned

HOW TO

DEAL WITH IT ALL!

And YOU are one of them!

CONGRATULATIONS!

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated our lives for our own good.

and while you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave their parents were.

Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it?!

PS -The BIG type is because your eyes are shot at your age

PS both my mum and dairy farmer friend went mad though when I went to pop a piece of raw potato in my mouth while making roasties. They say you should NEVER eat raw potato, pregnant or not :shock: . Well, I've managed to make it to my mid thirties and it hasn't got me yet!

I've had many a snickers bar

I also had steak (sadly well done) but it came with blue cheese on top. I ate it but was a little worried at the time.

Coleslaw is fine as long as it's made with mayo made with pasteurised eggs. I was told it's illegal to sell mayo / associated products made with raw unpasteurised eggs in restauraunts/pubs in this country so you're OK as long as you didn't get it at - say a food show or some home made stuff at someone's house!

I hate it when people (generally of my parent's generation) say 'well it never harmed you lot'. I say that if we all did what our mothers told us then we'd still be brushing our teeth with soot and sugar..!! :D

Now with only a few weeks to go I can't wait to have a lovely big steak cooked just as I like it, with a big chunk of brie with crackers after!

LBxx

apparently the nut thing is to do with hayfever and asthma. so people who have those shouldnt eat peanuts etc. says in a mag i buy cant remember which one :lol:

so i avoid all nuts except OH :rotfl: cause i have hayfever. but then ive eat peanuts in the past so sometime in the future my babys or babys will get it anyway.

I try to avoid the things I've been told to, most of which I never eat anyway like raw fish/liver/soft cheese. But I'm craving tuna atm and sticking to one tin a week just is not happening! and I've had the occasional runny egg, and always have mayo (altho not made with raw egg). Sometimes i feel bad about it but theres no point in beating myself up about abit of tuna or egg when I dont drink or smoke!

I've had peanut butter about 3 times a week on toast for breakfast.

I've eaten prawns (cooked), mayonnaise and coleslaw (shop bought not home made).

I've avoided alcohol, uncooked meats (made sure all my meat is completely sizzled), runny eggs and soft cheese.

With my first son I wasn't told anything about avoid this and that. Techonology has come a long way but I do sometimes wonder if it's all for the good :think:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
candigrams
Back