my antenatal day clas...

Suzie and Faith

Reaction score
Was actually quite good! It did seem like a long day but we got an hour for lunch and breaks when we wanted.
I can't say I learnt much that I didn't already know (thanks to PF) but it was good none the less!

We covered birthing positions and use of a gym ball (which they said was fine - no need for a special pregnancy one!), we covered pain 'management', breastfeeding... baby pooh, that sort of thing.

All of the midwives were encouraging people to think about home birth which is handy. And one of them was really good - she calls herself a bit of a hippy, but she is into home births with pools and she also is a strong believed in natural labour and not using drugs etc which was really good to hear :)

It was nice to feel that homebirth is SO supported!

We did do a tour of the delivery suite and whilst it's clean and everything i didn't like it AT ALL! I will NOT be going there if i have any say! And the 'lagoon' birthing pool didn't impress me either!
They say that they give women 10 days to go over before induction but i asked and was told that i could argue my case for 14 days and providing baby was ok I would be within my rights to do that, so fingers crossed!

I also found that they don't like the give the drug that speeds up placenta delivery to those who are anaemic - i forgot to ask why though... i have decided that i wouldn't want it anyway as most people deliver it naturally within 15 minutes of the birth and the drug only cuts that down to about 10 mins.

OOOOH and i also got to look at a totsbot fluffle reusable nappy - they are so soft and lovely! me and OH are considering trying reusable nappies, and maybe just using disposables for the first week and for travelling if convenience was needed.

Anyway, thought i'd share my day :)

Oh and I was the biggest one there despite one woman being 37 weeks and the rest around my date or later!!

Sounds like a good day :) Glad it was enjoyable

And great to hear the MW's were so supportive of homebirth and encouraging it for those that would like it :cheer:

And re the induction, you don't have to accept them inducing you at any point if you don't want to, its good they explained that :) They can monitor you regularly and keep an eye on baby also and so long as there are no problems its your choice if you decline an induction until 14 days overdue (I have heard of women going longer also by choice but there is a chance the placenta stops working as well once you go very overdue past the 42 weeks IIRC, hence the monitoring etc) I'll be holding out for that for sure if our LO decides there is no need to rush out before 42 weeks are up :roll: :lol:

Hopefully you won't have to worry about induction and you'll have your LO before then :hug: :hug:

Sounds like you've had a nice day, I am glad they seemed very supportive of your choices, that is excellent news!! :cheer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back