Is it true, Dr's dont do tests anymore?

Reaction score
My Husband and I are going to start TTC, my friend has just given birth and happened to mention that dr's dont do pregnancy tests anymore.

I know you can get really accurate home tests and everyone would do one before going to the drs but I think I'd just like a dr to conform that I was pregnant.

Is this true?

xx

they wont do one if you have done a home test

My doctor didn't do one as i had done two home tests. She said that the home tests are actually more accurate than the nhs tests they do, so they rely on the home test result!!

Plus the likelihood of getting false positives is very low so you can rely on your home result!

My doctor didnt do a urine test, but did do a blood test to confirm it

I think they will if you specifically ask, or as in my friend's case have had series of positives and negatives within a short span of time.

My GP didn't do one for me, she said the home test was accurate enough. I did worry that it could be wrong until the morning sickness started ;)

they didn't do one for me either, bc i had taken an hpt they just believed me :D

My doctor has always done pregnancy test's for me. I had to ring a couple of days later for the results :)

They have to do a blood test though, right?

I didn't have a blood test, and I don't think it's the norm to do them either.

As everyone has said, HPTs are so accurate nowadays GPs just take those as confirmation.

My friend tested positive on a clearblue digital and went to her doctor to have another test done thinking theirs were more accurate but the nurse laughed and told her they only use the cheap boots tests and that her digital is by far the most accurate! i'm sure some doctors get their supply from babymad on ebay :lol:

Blood test is recommended if pregnancy was discovered from the start (14 DPO) to check that you have the right hCG levels. Not sure what the standard levels are (i know my friend's level was 41UI/L which was normal) but if it's too low pregnancy can end in miscarriage.

But what if your employer wants proof that you are pregnant?

In most areas (including mine) you dont even see your doctor, I rang the surgery to say I was preg then they booked in an appointment with the midwife for 8-10 weeks preg and you go from there, I still havent seen my doc and I wont, Im 24 weeks now.The MW takes care of you

Cori said:
But what if your employer wants proof that you are pregnant?

If you tell them you're pregnant, they can't demand 'proof' - your word should be sufficient. If you're in a physically demanding job and need to be transferred to lighter duties, your doctor will more than likely write a letter for you to give to them when you go to see him/her after your BFP. Your doctor would do this on the strength of a +ve HPT. You then get a form MAT1B when you're 20 weeks pregnant to give to your employer to start the process of applying for SMP etc.

My doctor didn't do a test, urine or blood test. The HPT's are the same as they use anyway so no point really.

my doc didnt do a blood or urine text for me as id done a hpt

My dr did a urine pregnancy test because thats just standard procedure at my clinic. I think they need some sort of proof because the dr imedaitely sends away for a free perscription medical card so I guess anyone could make up their pregnancy for a free medical card? :think:

i have to drop off my urine sample for testing on friday! i dont need to see the docs though its just so they have proof before they send me to the midwife etc

x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back