is exercise safe?

dina.marie

Reaction score
as some of you know from my "kick up the bum" thread ive started going to the gym again. when i was pregnant earlier in the year i quit when i was about 7 weeks because i was a bit scared whether it was safe or not..but then i mc at 11 weeks anyway.

obviously exercise is good for you but i just dont know how safe it is during pregnancy. ive read loads on the internet, some say to keep exercising, others say that high impact exercise can increase the risks of mc by 3 times!

i really want to keep up with the exercise but i do classes such as spinning and body combat (aerobics with martial art moves but non contact) etc which i would class as high impact cuz theyr bloody hard work, but i just dont know if its safe as ive already had 2 mc and when i fall pregnant again i dont know if its safe.

help! i dunno wot to do. i really wanna get fit again cuz i love exercise and hate being a couch potato.

I can't really advise you on this hun although i have read that some types of exercise are not harmful but since you had 2 incidents of miscarriage i would really speak to my doctor if i were you and i would be double cautious and take extreme care especially during the first 3 months! Good luck :hug:

I was told when I was PG last time, that I could carry on at the gym but wasn't allowed to play hockey or go skiing :(

I was also told that while at the gym to not let my HR go over 130 while exercising, which is really low TBH. I did let it go to about 140 but that was it. I don't know if that is current advise, as, as you say you get lots of conflicting info. However going to the gym reguarly I think is definitely a good thing, I Wish I had time to do more than 1 session a week, but with hubby commuting so far to work, I have had to do both nursery drop offs and pick ups and don't get time to go any more.

I remember the doctor telling me when I was preggers (bear in mind this was 13 years ago) that exercise is safe but I was not to do any contact sports. I think maybe just be cautious? Also, another plus side to exercising is that you will be nice and fit in preparation for the birth, I have heard that if you are fit and health and in good shape it makes for a better labour experience.

from what i've read some exercise is ok, but its best to cehck with your gp and with your gym instuctor to see if there is any thing you should avoidor change. I know a pg lady in the auqafit class i go to did differnt exersices to the rest of us for bit of the class.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back