Im fooked! Shes never satisfied :(

happy-chick

Reaction score
Ellies feeding constantly & is never satisfied... feel such a failure that I cant satisfy her anymore :? people keep telling me its a growth spurt but when will it end its been goin on at least a week but building up from 2 weeks ago and is getting worse & worse every day.

She used to feed every 3-4hrs & has always been an efficient feeder, shes now feeding at least every 2hrs draining both breasts & then crying for more :( Her latch has been checked, theres nothing wrong with my supply.. im eating & drinkin well, plenty of oats. Is there anything else that I can do? She was sleeping through & now wakes 3-5 times a night for a feed, its getting earlier that she wakes each night too... we've tried everything else to settle her but shes definately hungry. Shes crying loads all the time & really grumpy.

Ive spoken to a HV at the clinic (not my own) when I had her weighed and she said typically she would say its a growth spurt but her weight gain says otherwise. She said babies feed alot to increase the mothers supply but Ellie has gone from the 50th centile to 75th in 4weeks and is increasing rapidly so she said she doesnt think that its anything to do with my supply. She suggested to wait a week and see how we are going next week.

Im drained to say the least, please tell me theres an end in sight?? Why is she not satisfied?

PLease don't feel a failure - you are doing really well.
When charlotte was about the same age we introduced dream feed of EBM when we went to bed, and she dropped two night feeds, so you could try this? She always used to have her longest sleep from bedtime around 7 until 12, but that meant I only got an hour or so before the first feed. With the dreamfeed, I thought at least I would get a good stretch before the first feed, but she actually started going through. I think she took more because it is easier to take from a bottle. Even if it doesn't get her through the night it might cut down on the frequency.
Like the others say, it will calm down though.

Yeh ive already been doing the dreamfeed thing its failed miserably!!

We normally go to bed around 10:30 and feed her then, last week she was waking at around 3am which I thought was bad... its got earlier and earlier over the past week and we're now on waking at 1am for first feed :? its crazy shes gunna explode if she carries on :lol:

have to add that edwards been the same.. he has settled a little the past 2 nights..(touch wood) but my supplys increased and im making him feed for longer by keeping him stimulated...

try not to stess out tho jo.. i know its hard but being tense makes your supply drop..i dunno what else to suggest.. only try feeding her then switching breasts if shes really fussy and different possitions help to drain the breast differently... good luck..we have gone bk to the basics this week.. possitions, latch tummy to tummy, skin 2 skin.. all refreshed and it has helped..

I wudnt say im stressed really to be honest, just exhausted! We've been doin lots of positions, skin 2 skin & still same, breasts drained! I think to be honest I've tried all there is to try so probly just gotta sit it out! Im just hoping its a phase & passes soon as im really findin it tough.

Thanks guys :)

Sorry to butt in- I just wanted to say thanks to the advice from everyone who's breastfeeding- my LO is almost constantly hungry and today has fed every hour nearly- reading your replies has told me that it is normal and it has made me much happier- I have felt under pressure to be establishing some sort of routine by now, or pattern to her feeding but that is not happening and I know not to expect it for a while! I attended NCT classes and talked about breast feeding but nothing prepares you for the reality of it and the amount of time it takes up and the anxiety it can cause. Thanks for reassuring me that i am doing a good job- even though Kathryn's weight gain tells me that anyway- she's gained 8oz in a week!
:hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JenniferU
Back