• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

I want a steak *drools*

Sherlock

Reaction score
I love a good piece of rump or sirloin steak, done blue (only 20 seconds either side and still mooing on the plate) and served with melted blue stilton on the top

:roll: :? :wall:

I've been missing steak since the day I found out I was PG. I was tempted to go for a rare one, but was advised not to. Medium just does not cut it in our house. That might as well be carpet on my plate its that chewy and tough compared to a blue or very rare steak :wall:

But dammit today I want one more than anything, Forge chocolate, forget ice cream, forget salt and vinegar crisps...

I want meat :evil:

I like steak reallywell done. There is no way I could eat it rare or blue.

Ewwwww, I couldn't.....I've never been a big meat fan but have gone right off it lately. I'm gonna start stocking up on wine, stilton, brie & runny eggs soon ready for after LO arrives!

Just what I was thinking!! I'm craving a big fat juicy steak! Is medium ok to eat, I thought it had to be well done to be ok to eat at all?

*drools*

I arranged to go meet my friend in two weeks to a bar and grill restaurant, she's happy cos she'll get her steak. Probably a bad move on my part, I will be SORELY TEMPTED!! :wall:

Helen

purplebluered said:
Just what I was thinking!! I'm craving a big fat juicy steak! Is medium ok to eat, I thought it had to be well done to be ok to eat at all?

*drools*

I arranged to go meet my friend in two weeks to a bar and grill restaurant, she's happy cos she'll get her steak. Probably a bad move on my part, I will be SORELY TEMPTED!! :wall:

Helen

TBH the outside of beef is where the bad stuff lies, germs only grow when they are in contact with the air. Searing that in rare steak as I understand it makes the meat perfectly edible. Years of living in continental Europe have educated my tastebuds ;)

Never to be done with minced beef however as that has all be mixed already and so is in contact with air. Hence cooking burgers well.

I used to only eat well done steak till my late teens but have discovered its tough, chewy and has little flavour once past medium rare. Even medium means its more or less done all the way through and only pink. I gradually had my steak cooked less and less until I got the the blue stage and it taste wonderful and has a great texture. Not for everyone. But I'll happily eat very rare/rare also if a restuarant doesn't get it right and overcooks it. The meat is so much easier to chew and has far more flavour.

I have no idea why I am avoiding eating a rare steak actually now I think about it :roll: I know our immune system is meant to be lower so if there is something wrong our bodies can't fight it as well maybe but grrr the bacteria grows on the outside of steak, not inside it :wall:

*goes to ponder steak for dinner tomorrow*

mmmmmmmmm ive had a few nice blue steaks in my time yum yum

i had a medium/well steak last week

im sure medium steak would be ok in moderation

good shout with the stilton on top sherlok mmmmmmmmmm

I can't do blue steak, but I do like a good medium rare one :)

I'm looking forward to a glass of red wine and some yummy runny egg yolk and maybe a piece of stilton... in about, oh, 6 months I can indulge in those :D

Ive never eaten steak blue or rare actually! I always have it well done and now I might have to try it once baby is born. I love trying new food. I dont think dripping blood would bother me in the slightest - not since my gums bleed like a massacre in the sink - sort of the same! :think:

Interesting (or not) Fact: Since Ive been pregnant I crave the smell of raw steak or beef! LOL *leaves now before Im carted off to the loony bin*

:rotfl:

Tillytots said:
Ive never eaten steak blue or rare actually! I always have it well done and now I might have to try it once baby is born. I love trying new food. I dont think dripping blood would bother me in the slightest - not since my gums bleed like a massacre in the sink - sort of the same! :think:

The trick is to not just go eat a steak blue straight off. Just each time you cook a steak, do it rarer each time. Just need to do that a few times and you'll find a taste and texture you like. I love really rare steak, but hubby who always used to have his medium has to have it rare. He can't quite get to the blue stage.

Medium rare is good for me!!! I have been cooking them more since being pregnant though. I do love my steaks and living with a vegetarian means I get 'em all to myself (well....Rose my youngest likes a bit of steak too).

Does anyone know if one can eat smoked salmon? I must admit, I did at Christmas.

Blue Steak Rocks !!!!!

When i lived on my own i was always very impatient at waiting for my food to cook propperly and thats how i found blue steak. I hate it when you ask for blue and it comes out rare (i have been known to send a steak back because it was over cooked. medium not blue)

I tend to have blue when it is just myself and Andreaaa as it doesnt bother her like it does other people. If we are out in a group i will reluctantly ask for rare, hoping they under cook it (doesnt happen though, but is a nice thought)

JP said:
Blue Steak Rocks !!!!!

When i lived on my own i was always very impatient at waiting for my food to cook propperly and thats how i found blue steak. I hate it when you ask for blue and it comes out rare (i have been known to send a steak back because it was over cooked. medium not blue)

I tend to have blue when it is just myself and Andreaaa as it doesnt bother her like it does other people. If we are out in a group i will reluctantly ask for rare, hoping they under cook it (doesnt happen though, but is a nice thought)

If its a decent restuarant I'd order it blue and no messing about. I've had many a steak cooked blue and its been fine. Sometimes it comes out very rare, but the principal is only the first mm or so of flesh is seared and cooked and the rest is pretty much raw. Once it cooks further, of course it gets bloody and the texture starts to change, but ah well.

Always worth asking the waiter if the chef is happy to cook a steak blue as most should be.

I can't believe I'm not alone in my adoration for steak blue :cheer: :cheer:

sorry but..... is the steak actually blue??? :think: :think:

the only red meat i eat is bacon, and that has to be cooked so much that i can snap it!! couldn't bear eating pink bacon :puke: :puke:

so how can u eat rare steak hehehe :puke:
is it not dangerous?? and is it actually blue!!! lol

Kimbo said:

the only red meat i eat is bacon, and that has to be cooked so much that i can snap it!! couldn't bear eating pink bacon :puke: :puke:

lol no its not. Inside when served blue it looks like steak does before you cook it. Its literally only seared on the outside, say 20 seconds each side. I suppose its called blue as it tends to look bluish on the outside. The longer you cook it, the more grey looking it then becomes.

And no its not dangerous when able to eat normally for yourself. On beef the bacteria lives on the outside, the parts that come into contact with the air. So, if you have a piece of steak and sear it both sides, then you kill the bacteria. The uncooked meat inside is fine to eat. Most of the time, if done properly the steak won't even develop the bloodiness you get with rare steaks, it simply stays raw.

It's an acquired taste and one I had to work up to, but now I can't bear medium as once you start cooking steak to that degree it becomes more chewy and tough and the flavour is lessened. Blue or very rare is much easier to cut, chew and tastes very different to a cooked steak.

For most people, they cannot get past eating something very rare cooked and think it has to be like chicken or pork and cooked all the way through to be edible, when it does not. Continental Europe don't eat steak cooked as much as we do. Nor their beef joints, which are usually very pink/bloody compared to what we eat over here.

Don't get me started lol. It's like the time in friends when phoebe is Craving meat. :clap:

So if only seared 20 secs each side is the steak even warm enough to eat?? I like my food to be hot (as in temp hot) so wouldn't that be something else to get used to? I'm ignorant on matters of blue steak, as tend to eat medium rare! Will try weaning myself down to blue if I can once baby's popped :D

Sherlock said:
Kimbo said:

lol no its not. Inside when served blue it looks like steak does before you cook it. Its literally only seared on the outside, say 20 seconds each side. I suppose its called blue as it tends to look bluish on the outside. The longer you cook it, the more grey looking it then becomes.

And no its not dangerous when able to eat normally for yourself. On beef the bacteria lives on the outside, the parts that come into contact with the air. So, if you have a piece of steak and sear it both sides, then you kill the bacteria. The uncooked meat inside is fine to eat. Most of the time, if done properly the steak won't even develop the bloodiness you get with rare steaks, it simply stays raw.

It's an acquired taste and one I had to work up to, but now I can't bear medium as once you start cooking steak to that degree it becomes more chewy and tough and the flavour is lessened. Blue or very rare is much easier to cut, chew and tastes very different to a cooked steak.

For most people, they cannot get past eating something very rare cooked and think it has to be like chicken or pork and cooked all the way through to be edible, when it does not. Continental Europe don't eat steak cooked as much as we do. Nor their beef joints, which are usually very pink/bloody compared to what we eat over here.

hmmm interesting :think:

still snappy meat for me though hehe :D

ewwww sounds gross, but then i would be scared to eat it.
Plus the only red meat i eat is the odd hot dog every now and again if i'm out.
No a meat lover at all, gimmie pasta and i'm sorted.

Being a vegetarian, I prefer my beef to be wandering around in the field mooing. My fella and my son had steak the other night (they both like it pretty rare) and I had to leave the room. I don't normally have a problem but my pregnancy is making me a little sensitive.

My one hankering has been for Brie. I keep lingering next to it in the cheese isle at the supermarket. I had some with tomato slices on pitta the other day and put it in the oven til it was hot and melted. Mmmmm

MissSara said:
Plus the only red meat i eat is the odd hot dog every now and again if i'm out.
No a meat lover at all, gimmie pasta and i'm sorted.

Hehe ummm there is very little red meat goes into those tinned hotdogs fwiw :roll:

I adore pasta also but after eating so much of it the past 6 months I'm hankering for that elusive steak :wall:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clark Gracen
Back