I don't know how anything works here!

moss

Reaction score
I am having a moment of panic because I am thinking about trying to find a childminder, which has led me to thinking about schools. I looked on the coucil's website and I have no idea which schools are in my catchment area right now. How do I find out? And, if there are several, how do I choose? The HMIE reports are a load of rubbish, if you ask me! The college I went to got a great review, but it didn't deserve it at all. My husband went to the nearest primary school to him and it wasn't good at all. It had a really bad effect on him. I don't want this to happen to Jacob!

How soon do you have to apply to schools? I don't know anything because I didn't grow up here and my husband doesn't because... Well, he's a man. :/

Not sure if Scotland works the same, but down here we have just had to apply for Tyler's school place in December ready for him to start there in January 2010 :shock: Cant believe that time is almost here already, where has my baby gone?! :eek: Thankfully the nursery he attends gave me all the forms to fill in, along with an info booklet detailing everything we needed to know :D However you should be able to find out all the information you need from your local council's family services. We first rang them 2 years ago when we were looking into getting childcare for Tyler for the first time and had no clue where to start. They were very helpful and sent out loads of stuff which we went through at our own leisure and could choose the appropriate care for ourselves. It is an absolute minefield trying to find a carer who you are happy to look after your child, and its a decision you wont want to take lightly, so get yourselves all the info and visit all the sites before you decide anything!! Good luck! x :hug:

Thanks. I am going back to classes on Monday, but I am going to have to take turns with my husband because we haven't found anything yet. I don't want to send him to a nursery yet, but there doesn't seem to be much available right now. And, to be honest, I haven't been trying as hard as I should because I just don't want to leave him with anyone at all! :( I am going to hate it so much. He loves new people, but I am so worried about them not understanding the ways I want things done, etc... My friend was an au pair and she's going to look after him once and a while for now until I find someone, but I can't depend on her forever.

I wish I could just stay home with him until he goes to school!

with regards to childminders - have a look at the care commission website http://www.carecommission.com/. It will list all childminders in your area and should also give you details of any inspection reports they have had done.

I was just thinking about the whole schools thig when making a cup of tea and then I saw your post. Here you can apply when your child is 2 1/2. The whole schooling system around the Richmond upon thames area is so competitive. My HV had sold her lovely house near us and moved to a tiny house in St Margrets just so she could get her little boy into a certain school.

You also find that in order to get your child into a good secondary school they need to have been in a good primary school.

The best in our area are catholic schools, I'm not sure if t would be the same in Scotland. I know that back home in Wales welsh speaking schools tend to be the better schools nowdays.

So when we manage to move house we will start going to mass with Rudy in order to get him into our school of choice. Luckily we are both Catholic and there is a childrens service so it won't be too bad with a baby.

It's crazy the measures you have to got to to ensure your little one has a good schooling.

I appreciate that this isn't the same nationwide. Hopefully it won't be quite so ridiculous in your area. Good luck and I hope someone manages to answer your question a bit better.

x

I just asked my friend on this as she has 4 kiddies. She has to apply this week for her youngest who has just turned 4 years old. She said all you need to do is take their birth certificate along to the school office and say you want to enroll your child and then fill in the form there and then.

Sounds pretty easy... glad you asked as I had been thinking about it and kept forgetting to ask who and where I go/see.

It's different in Scotland to how it works in England. In Scotland you automatically go to your "catchment" school. If you look on your local authority's website it will detail in which catchment area you live and which school it is. The only time this doesn't apply is if you want him to go to a denominational school, you'd need to contact Dundee City Council to ask about that. You'll have to enrol him, though, usually you can contact the school about that and there are often adverts in local papers telling you when you can do it. This usually happens at this time of year (Jan-Feb) for children starting in August.

If you want him to go to a different school you will need to put in what's called a placing request, basically an application detailing your reasoning for wanting him to go to a different school. You're more likely to get accepted for reasons such as it's closer (funnily enough catchment schools aren't always the closest but always relatively nearby or transport provided) or if your child already has siblings there (obviously which Jacob won't). It's quite rare that a placing request will be denied unless the school is bursting at the seams.

The best way to find out about schools is word of mouth. HMIe reports I feel are NOT representative of what a school is like because schools are forewarned and pull out all the stops for an inspection. There are also 7 years between inspections so if you take my school as an example, it got slated on the fabric of the building (cold in winter, hot in summer) but since then has undergone a £2 million refurbishment, almost all staff are different and we have a new HT. So what was vaguely representative then is not now.

Hope that's of some help, let me know if you think of anything else. :hug:

Relax. Breathe. It's OK. :hug:
You don't need to do anything about school for years yet.

I always wondered too - thanks Lorna :D

Regarding nursery and childminders try this website - http://www.scottishchildcare.gov.uk/Home.aspx

It has a list of childminders and n urseries in your area.

Also have a look at the private nurseries. We've just found one and its fab. But most of the council run nurseries in our area don't take on babies for some reason

Thanks, I will have a look at that website in a minute. About the catchment areas being on the council's website, I see a list of schools, but nothing mentioning catchment areas. Am I being completely stupid? Is there another name for it?

Haha Kalia, unfortunately I do have to think about it, because if the schools in our area are bad, we will have to think about moving, which is something we would have to consider and plan way in advance. :/

Oh... I have checked out that site with the childminders, etc. Unfortunately there aren't any near me. The search continues!

Hi, it's a dilema i've worried about too. Registered LO for the primary school & pre-school we want him to attend when he was born - pre-school confirmed the place by return of post so we know that's ok, the school said yes but the council will write nearer the time saying his local school is "....." but in the area he can also apply to "xxx", "xxxx" or "xxxx" type thing. I've to tick the one we've applied to (thankfully it's our local one) and should be ok but I know I'm not the only mummy who's registed LO for school already. Hate to think about school seemed like only yesterday LO was a complete newborn! :D Have to say I dunno how it works in Scotland. Perhaps call the local council ask for education department and see what they say even if they just outline your areas application process or soemthing. Good luck xx

i still haven't put seren down for a school - oops

I wouldn't move just to get in a good catchment area at this point. All it takes is a change of headteacher or a change or council polocy and things can change dramatically in a school - either things vastly improving or things going downhill fast. A lot can happen in 4 or 5 years time so if your only reason for moving to an area is the schools it would be best to wait at least 3 years.

I wouldn't be moving right away, but I would have to know that I might want to. It takes a lot for me to move, especially to raise a deposit, being a student and everything...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JenniferU
Back