I can't find a nursery

moss

Reaction score
...or childminder... or anything else! I don't really know how to look, but I have checked a lot of websites, asked the health visitor and some other people. The places that actually do have spots for babies are all full. Most places here seem to start at 2 years old. It looks like I might somehow have to find a nanny. Does anyone know how much they typically cost? Should I go through an agency? Do I HAVE to go through an agency? How do I interview them? I'm scared to leave him with anyone! I will only need someone maybe two days a week at first, and not even for the full day. Will anyone actually take a job like that?

I wish I had family here! :(

Last edited:
Thanks! I looked at scottishchildcare.gov but not the others. I'll check them out now. Part of me hopes not to find anyone so I have a good excuse not to leave him with anyone.

Truthfully a nanny will be expensive. I know, I've been one for many years.

Its not just the salary but the tax and NI contributions etc you have to pay also. Covering the holidays and sick days. You have to employ the nanny and therefore all the extras that come with employing them. NannyTax website has info http://www.nannytax.co.uk/

Its really not a cheap option. Maybe look at a nanny share. Check agencies is your best bet. Decent ones will have interview and checked references etc.

You cannot have a self employed nanny if the days are regular and for longer than x period of time (longer than 3 months iirc but don't quote me on it). That makes them fall into what is considered 'employed' conditions and they would be breaking the law working self employed then.

I'm sure you could find a childminder locally. Have you looked in local papers or shop windows. Advertised yourself for one?

Thanks everyone. It seems like just about everything is filled up here, but I'll keep looking. It also seems like anything in a group (childminder, nursery, etc) starts at either four or six months.

As for nannies being expensive... Well, at the moment because I am a student I would be eligible for up to 70% of costs, and my university will either pay the balance or whatever amount they think I cannot afford. I want to take advantage of this and get the best I can, whether that be a nanny or a nursery.

Does your college / Uni have a creche or recommened Nursery. I know that the James Watt College in Kilwinning is linked to a local nursery, which is a day care nursery.

They do, but it is only for two and up. How stupid is that? Edinburgh's is for six weeks and up or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JenniferU
Back