Hyphenated names

scones

Reaction score
I work with small children and have noticed the increasing number of children who have hyphenated names, well two names I suppose you could say. Its just a query really to those of you who have named your own children like this, is it because you couldnt decide on either name? Or naming after two people in the family? Do you call your child both names all the time or shorten it to one name or the other? Do you insist on your child being called the full name?

Im only curious, also to see which names people have put together as well. These are the ones I have heard of, Lily May, Lily Jay, Ella Mai, Chelsea Jay, the list goes on.

Personally I wouldnt do it as its not my thing so this is just a curiosity thing really.

I thought about it with Angel. Her middle name is Ellen, and i thought about hyphenating. But where i live it's a 'chav thing'. If i didn't live in Boston i probably would've done.

If you know Boston she'd be called Mary-Lou, living on Fenside (council estate) going to Haven High! That's the kind of thing round here.

my school best friend was called carrie-anne and i think thats a good name hyphenated and i also like ella-mea as it seems to flo ,

I dont particulary like hyphenated names myself, as I think they are too much of a mouthful. I dont really see the point in it? :think: I love middle names though. :D

All the hyphenated names seem to have May, Jay or Anne in them dont they??

We have Lily Anne but Anjne is he middle name. OHs family told us to hyphinate it bu she already had a double barrelled surname so it would be a bit nasty :lol: And she only has her names because Lily is her greatgrandmother and Anne is my mums middle name :D

My daughters name is Lola-Mae! I just like it! lol not reason for it! My other daughter is called Lucy Anne and we should have hyphenated her name really as she is called Lucy Anne kwim?
A middle name is different in the sense that you dont have to include it when saying you name kwim? My name is Leanne, its always shortened to Lea but when I say my name its Leanne! Lola-Mae will shorten her name to Lola but will always say Lola-Mae when asked her name kwim? Am I making sense lmao! I never can type exaclty what I mean! :lol:

I don't mind it but I don't think I'd go for it myself. Quite a lot of my friends have done it with their kids and it's very popular round here aswell, especially with girls. My sister's best friend has a little girl called Annie-Mae and she goes mad at people if they just call her 'Annie'! :shock: But her & her OH put their surnames together so she also has a double-barreled surname, and she is half Italian and has quite an unusal surname... when you say her whole name it sounds like a right mouthful! :lol:

If i had a baby with my ex we always said we'd call her Ella-Jay.

He was one of 4 boys... his mum always wanted a girl who she'd call Ella so we would have done Ella for her and Jay for me lol.

I always wanted to call my little girl Jay but my OH's little boys name is Jay so that went out the window when we found we were having a girl lol.

SO now its Megan Olivia Scott haha xxx

i dont mind hyphenated names - i think some of them sound really nice..

i used to work in a nursery and there was a little girl called ruby-mae, she was lovely..

also know a demi-leigh and amy-lea..

think its mostly girls though.. i cant think of any hyphenated boys names i know!!

My daughter is Lilli-May, we didnt plan to have a hyphenated name, but it just kinda popped into my head, i saw it spelled out in my mind :rotfl:

I am Sue-Ellen and I hate it with a passion!! I got teased in school for having a posh hyphenated name, and then there's the Dallas connection :wall: All through school 'where's JR?"! :x

I get really annoyed when people call me Sue-Ellen, I much prefer Sue.

Admittedly my name is worse because I'm named after an alcoholic tv character, but I'd hate having any name hyphenated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
candigrams
Back