How will I know when it's started?

Tilly

Reaction score
Last night I had a lot of back pain and several episodes of period type pain throughout the night, my baby is back to back so I am prepared for the back pain. I also had some pink tinged discharge, my midwife had attempted a stretch and sweep on Wednesday but my cervix was still posterior and she had warned me there may be a little bleeding.

The period pains were not regular or made me think I was in labour but hopefully something is moving in the right direction as I am now 5 days overdue.

What I wanted to ask you was how will I know when I am having a contraction? The pain last night was definitely period type pains and very low down, I haven't had and braxton hicks I don't think so I am not sure what to expect. My bump is always very hard as my midwife said it is all baby so will a contraction be felt over my whole bump?

Sounds pretty much like it to me. I had period pain type pains and backache which kinds of came and went in waves. You know when you're really in labour because each time you get a contraction you can't talk through it, just best to breathe deeply through it! I didn't realise I was in proper labour until mw said "Bloody hell girl, you're 9.5cm dilated!" :rotfl:

All i can say for sure is you'll know when it starts!!! With me i had REALLY strong BH so i thought constantly that this could be 'it', but my contractions felt nothing like BHs at all. they came in waves and even with baby in a perfect position, the pain was all in my back.

I had 2 sweeps and with each the following few days consisted of horrible period pains and spotting etc. I really hope it comes soon for you :)

i wrongly thought i was having contractions 2 days before i gave birth. i was confusing contractions (which started 24 hours later) with effacing pains. with hindsight now i can see the clear difference- the effacing pains were always equally painful and varied between 7 and 11 minutes the time in between went up and down. but the real mcoy contractions were regular as clockwork, only got shorter time in between never any longer than the previous. and they were getting worse all the time too
good luck, cant be long now either way as ur already a few days over :hug:

From what you have said i would say you are pretty much starting, i got all that about 3-4 days before my waters broke!
Good Luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itsa1231
Back