• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

How many Scans?

Cosmopolitan

Reaction score
Hi!

I just have a quick question. How many scans you normally have? Is it just (the dating scan if applicable), the 12 week one and the 20 week one? Cannot believe that I will see my baby for the last time, in 10 days, before I give birth :shakehead:

I get a growth scan at I think 32 weeks, because I could have a small baby or something?
So you may get that?
:)

Is that a regular one? Because I checked the list my midwife gave me, that has all the tests and scans on it and it doesn't say anything about it at all. How do they know towards the end whether I still got enough amniotic fluid or whether my baby has its cord around the neck if they don't check again? :think:

I get another scan at 36 weeks which is a routine growth scan because I had complications with my last one but generally if everything is going well, MWs and docs tend to leave baby well alone until they are ready to arrive!

Ask your MW if you think you should have another scan. I think this is why alot of people are hvaing the 4d scan.. because you can take it up to 30 weeks so it breaks the time up niceley and you get to see baby again before the birth! :)

Thanks for your replies. Yes, we want to have a 4D anyways. Will ask my MW but so far my whole pregnancy has been perfect, so I guess I am just not counting on a third scan.

ye the 12 week one and the 20 week one are the only scans you get unless you have a big baby or a small baby etc...

For me I have the nuchal scan which I had last Tuesday - but baby was smaller than anticipated so they couldn't do it. So I get another one Tuesday week. Then I get an ultraound at 20 weeks on the 26th March. I don't seem to get any other scans...

Yep, 2 scans it is, unless they find the placenta is slow lying then you would be offered a late scan, I did when i was preg with my son. Im having a 4d in less than 2 weeks time, its great if you can find the money, which we have scraped around for, cant wait!

I had a scan at 7 weeks as they suspected an ectopic pregnancy. Then a normal 12 week scan, I'm off for my 20 week today :D And I've been told I need another two scans at 24 weeks and 28 weeks for a growth check, as I was a smoker before I got pregnant. Each place is different, some you only get one scan at 20 weeks other you get a few like mine. Although mine is in Liverpool.

Hey :wave: I had one at 8wks due to bleeding and the routine 12 wk one and 20wk one. Last week we had a 4D one which was amazing definately worth the money and then i have one at 34 wks due to my last 2 being small and other problems with them. :)

It is normally only a 12 week scan and then another at 20 weeks. If they find anything they want to keep an eye on thenn you will be monitored more closely and have more scans. I've had 7 in total now because of problems detected with baby and got another in 2 weeks to look at baby's heart in more detail.

You could always book a 4D scan :D xxx

we only get one at 10-12 weeks. Damn NHS here :evil:

Jazz, I think you get the extra one because of your age. In most areas, if you're under 18 or over a 'certain age' (which varies, think here it's 45), they do an extra later routine scan to ensure no problems with growth and placenta. Teenage mums are more prone to having small/underweight babies, partly because their own bodies are still growing and thus need more nutrients. And with older mums there may be issues with the placenta not working. Other than that, it's only if they pick up a potential problem at the anomaly scan, or there's an issue such as bleeding, or something else that may cause PTL - but these aren't routine scans of course.

I always presumed that there would be another scan just before the birth. Shows how much I know.

So how can they tell if the baby is breech, for example?

I am clueless about all this...

chaya5738 said:
I always presumed that there would be another scan just before the birth. Shows how much I know.

So how can they tell if the baby is breech, for example?

I am clueless about all this...

I think they can tell by feeling your baby's position in your tummy.

And I've been told I need another two scans at 24 weeks and 28 weeks for a growth check, as I was a smoker before I got pregnant

Cor that's efficient! Round here they do extra ones much later to check growth but only if you're still smoking. I don't get them even though I didn't stop completely until about 9 weeks! Ah well.

I think there ought to be another one just before the birth - to see where the cord is, for example. I think if the cord was wrapped round my baby's neck, I'd much rather go for a c-section than risk natural delivery. But I guess that would cost too much...

When you go into labour they will probably scan you there.. but it wont be an "ooh arrr, bless.. can i have pictures?" type of scan.. lol. It'll be a quick scan to see how baby is lying. You'll be too busy in labour to care anyways.. you just wanna get the baby out! lol.

I've had two early scans (nearly 7 weeks & nearly 9) and my 12 week scan is on the 20/2.
I think we get a 20 week scan here too, but i just checked my obstetric folder (i've somehow ended up with it to prevent the midwife creating a 2nd one or something) and in the notes it says they're going to do growth scans at 28/32 & 36 weeks. But i think thats to do with my high miscarriage rate.
We didn't plan on having a 4d one even before they said they'd do the growth scans but i think if we had to wait so long then we probably would've done lol.
xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnastasiaKh
Back