How long does your baby feed for?

Rósa

Reaction score
On the breast? Caitlin still feeds 30/45 mins then will sometimes go half an hour then have another 40 mins on the boob, I don't think she is comfort sucking as she is swallowing. and does come off when she wants.

Have I got a slow feeder or a greedy monkey lol. If she does spend ages sucking and goes on the other breast as well, she will come off ,and in about 5 mins give me a big smile then throws up some of the milk.

Im not worried about how long she feeds for, but i read posts where mums say thier babies feed for 10/15 mins, so wondering if Im going wrong somewhere or if it is normal for babies to still feed for this length of time at her age?

George used to take 40 mins to feed (and then throw some back up!) then by about 3 months it was down to 20-30 mins and by 6 months he had it down to less than 10mins for both sides, I think they get more efficient at sucking the milk out and draw it out stronger as well.

Blake's last feed can take 40 minutes (one boob). Even though he does swallow I do think it's more comfort, definitely.

Have you got a breastfeeding support group near you? If so, get a counsellor out to check for you.

When she pulls away, are your nipples flat?

Oscar used to feed for hours sometimes, cluster feeding. Then as he grew a bit he would take about an hour maybe, but now he's almost 7 months when he's feeding he takes about 10 mins before he empties the boob and is full. If he wants a nap though or it's bedtime he wll comfort suck then to get to sleep and if he stays on my lap while he's sleeping he will keep relatching on every now and then, usually eating when he does rathe than just comfort sucking.

Isla has always been a quick feeder, and now she takes ten minutes if that and can go hours between feeds. I suppose now she's on 3 meals and snacks the boob is only a small proportion of what she wants in the day. Before weaning she was still ten minutes but every 2/3 hrs xx

Blake's last feed can take 40 minutes (one boob). Even though he does swallow I do think it's more comfort, definitely.

Have you got a breastfeeding support group near you? If so, get a counsellor out to check for you.

When she pulls away, are your nipples flat?

Thank you, I think there is a breastfeeding support group, I will check it out as I still only to be able to feed rugby hold style, which is getting more awkward when we out and about as she is getting bigger (fine at home) when she comes of the nipple is flat and elongated more so on the left than the right, is this wrong?

If the nipple is flat when she is coming off she is comfort sucking.

My LO does it. A little finger every so often in the corner of his mouth so he lets go works. Once he is off sometimes he will root wildly to go back on but I just keep getting him to let go every 5 mins until I know he's deffo stopped feeding.

Rosa, Maia still feeds for a while too, I can be sat here for ages and shes 22 weeks now. Have tried taking her off and giving her a dummy to see if shes comfort feeding but she just screams. Maybe some babies are just slow??

Slow to eat that is, not slow in general! :0)

Rósa;2043171 said:
On the breast? Caitlin still feeds 30/45 mins then will sometimes go half an hour then have another 40 mins on the boob, I don't think she is comfort sucking as she is swallowing. and does come off when she wants.

Have I got a slow feeder or a greedy monkey lol. If she does spend ages sucking and goes on the other breast as well, she will come off ,and in about 5 mins give me a big smile then throws up some of the milk.

Im not worried about how long she feeds for, but i read posts where mums say thier babies feed for 10/15 mins, so wondering if Im going wrong somewhere or if it is normal for babies to still feed for this length of time at her age?

I let baby feed when she is Hungry I make it
attainble so she latch any time

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JenniferU
Back