How do you relieve Constipation in breastfed baby?

Zodiac

Reaction score
My LO has been a bit constipated - only 1 proper poo in last 48hrs.

He's waking up and straining really hard, then crying in pain - but nothing happening... but I know too soon to worry about going to DR's etc.

So - is there anything I can be doing to ease his pain?

As he's breastfed - I'm not giving him a bottle at all and HV said he doesn't need to be given anything apart from breastmilk - so no bottle of water or tea, as I've seen suggested elsewhere on here...

Is there anything else I can be doing to help him - I hate seeing him in pain, and feel really crap that all I can do is cuddle and comfort him, knowing that it's not actually helping him at all?

Awww poor little thing.

TBH tho I think water is the only thing that will help at his age, if you dont want to give him a bottle incase he gets used to it rather that him latching on - how about giving him a little boiled, cooled water by a teaspoon?

Hope he is better soon xx

you could try lying him on his back and moving his legs in a backwards cycling motion, it's supposed to help the muscles relax and ease pain. I tried it on dd and it seemed to help soothe her.

hope he feels better soon

Hoorah - we had a poo!!!

Read up on some other info which said that sometimes it's caused by dehydration & that for breastfed babies, you should offer boob more frequently. So did that plus a tummy massage with olive oil, plus the cycle motion of the legs... not sure which of those made the difference, but at least I have a happy baby again :dance:

Glad you got a result!

For future reference....I've heard that if you drink pear juice, or eat few pears it's meant to help baba pooooooo!

xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back