Hoooray!!!

Squiglet

Reaction score
The teachers are finally doing something about Tia's reading and writing... :cheer: :cheer: Poor thing has been struggling for ages. She was diagnosed with Dyspraxia back when she was 2.5 years old and part of the problem means she will have problems reading and writing as well as speech delay. The teachers here have always dismissed her problems being linked to her being foreign and we have begged and pleaded with them to listen to us that there is something wrong, but its always beensaid... oh well she's English... (English people have a bad reputation for being lazy about learning a language)... well last year she got a really obnoxious teacher who said that Tia struggled because she was lazy, stupid and a chatter box... well the latter might be true but she isn't lazy and she isn't stupid... he wouldn't listen and the poor thing got him AGAIN this year, I was heartbroken... well her teacher wasn't at school one day last week and the substitute happened to be the teacher from the special needs department and she thinks Tia needs extra help. :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: Her teacher has washed his hands of her and treated me really obnoxiously but I don't care cos I won :wink:

We got called in yesterday.. she very nervously suggested that Tia might have an issue like dyspraxia or dyslexia and that they want to have her assessed :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: to which I told her not to worry, that we knew this but no one wanted to know.. well shes going to be taken out of her Valenciano, music, art and religion (not that she takes this class anyway) classes and get extra help with her reading, writing and speech in a one to one environment..

I'm so happy... I must be weird to think that people saying my kid has issues is a good thing.. :D Aww it just feels like we have turned a corner. I know it won't cure her problems, but it will help her and her 6hourly homework sessions will be reduced along with the tears and frustration that always accompany them :)

glad someones finally pulled their finger out and she sounds like she will get alot of help with it all now, good for u for goin on at them too squiglet lol

YESSS!!! Finally, Squig :clap: :clap: :clap: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: I know how frustrating it can be... I had the same prob with Vic's dislexia and brain - eye coordination (cant remember the proper name for the condition) until i finally changed his school. We went thru all the "he's lazy...is distracted easily..."etc etc etc ...He changed schools and in three weeks they had diagnosed him and he was on a special "help" programme.
I am soooooooooooooo chuffed you got support, good for you girl

Lisa

That must be a HUGE relief. I am so glad that someone took the time and was sensitive enough to help Tia. I remember you posting ages ago about the amount of homework she has and how much time it takes her. Poor thing. Will this change now?

I hope so newmum... but she is still doing her homework atm and shes taking around 3 to 6 hours a night to do it... Her teacher doesn't go any easier on her because hes a nob... :talkhand: he is.... This year he tells the kids that they can use tippex but aren't allowed to use homework journals because other kids didn't bring them in... For a child like Tia it's vital. She honestly cannot keep track of things unless everything is written down, shes very forgetful and lives in her own dream world... Which is lovely but not when you want her up and dressed in the morning. :? She has "chore" lists (basically a list of things she needs to do in order, get up, brush teeth, get dressed, that sort of thing) for every aspect of her life at home... they really help her and keep her calm :) And well the tippex that just means Tia is less thoughtful about her work and makes more mess... so I've banned it and will be complaining to her teacher.

Oh thank goodness shes going to get the extra help now!! Her teacher sounds like a total wanker :evil: ! (sorry)

I'm glad they finally sorted something out for Tia!

We had a similar battle with DD (7). She showed signs of difficulties from year one but the school refused to do anything until she was 7 and 'quest tested' in year 3.

In the mean time, I pushed until she was diagnosed with Meares Irlen syndrome which effects her visual perception. But even after that the school were reluctant to help. They refused to print stuff on different colours because white is difficult for her - Even when I offered to supply the paper! And they still got frustrated when she couldn't read off the 'white' bored.

It makes you feel like you are over reacting at times and in the end, I removed her from school and teach her at home now.

I'm glad that something has been sorted for you though and I hope it really helps her turn a corner with her learning. The most important thing to me was that they were breeding a bad attitude towards education in her. Luckily, she loves to learn now because it doesn't feel much like school work to her anymore!

:think: :think: :think: interesting; I wonder if Vic has "Meares Irlen"; will need to go have a bit of a study on that one - thanks moresmiles. Sorry for hijacking thread squig, will be pming you

:hug: :hug: :hug:

Lisa

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back