help with finger food.

Funkylady

Reaction score
eek. Ive just given Livvy a rusk to hold and chew on and everytime a chunk comes off into her mouth I panic and try to grab it back out. Im just so scared she's gonna choke.

Ive ordered a babysafe feeder for her fruit... but how do you get over the whole panicking mum situation.

and what are the best things for her at her age?

xxx

Valentine posted a really good list in the weaning thread :)

I have no idea how to get over the whole panicking mum situation. I still sit right next to her and pat her back everytime she coughs etc :hug:

I just started giving her really slippery and soft finger foods, eg. bits of banana, tomato, stuff that if she did swallow it too soon it wouldn't get stuck. But she always dives on rice cakes etc and most of that stuff goes really soggy. But I do the same as you two with the choking thing.

It might help to remember that babies are very well adapted to be sick and have an excellent gag reflex, the risk of choking on a rusk or anything else posted above is sooooooooooooooooo remote :hug: Just stick to soft fruit and veg and specially made baby foods ie rusks, and LO will be just fine, see it as a learning experience for them, yes they may have moments where they cough and splutter but they need to have that to learn :hug: :hug: :hug:

Organix Crunchy Carrot Sticks are a really good first finger food because they are a good size and they go nice and soggy. I didn't give Jake that much else in the form of finger food until he was about 10 months old. When he did start on finger foods properly though he took to them really well. Don't think you have to rush in to giving your LO everything now if you don't feel ready. I would just stick with nice soft things for the minute until she's a little bit older and you feel more comfortable. Toast is a good finger food aswell but you have to watch that they don't shove the whole piece in their mouth at once :lol:

You can find them in the Supermarket baby food ailse :D
http://www.auravita.com/products/AURA/ORBR10029.asp

I agree with the organix carrot sticks, they're fab. Also cheese - cut into stick shapes not squares I found was better.

I agree with Organix carrot sticks, Maddison loves them and they go nice and soggy :wink: I also give strips of toast and rice cakes which turn soggy too...messy though! :roll:

Wow im not the only one then who gives them crunchy organic carrot sticks!

I love the organix range which nearly every shop does, ranges from carrot sticks to baby ginger bread men! And my lil lady has tried most and likes them all!

mrs_tommo22 said:
Wow im not the only one then who gives them crunchy organic carrot sticks!!

Nope I give my LO the sticks too....he loves them!! So we now have more of the Organix crispies, the sweetcorn rings, rice cakes etc. They are really great and go soggy so quick they are great for them. LO is now more confident with rusks too and like Redshoes said they are born with a gag reflex and it was my HV that said they have to learn, they need to build up that reflex and to stop worrying, amazingly I acutally did because before I'd panic over the slightest loose crumb!!

You can get baby biscuits too for stage 2.. from Cow and Gate in the shape of bears and some others do them too, Hipp do elephants I think. Ryan loves them but I don't give them to him too often in case he starts prefering them to normal foods. BTW be prepared for (normal) choking noises if you give them ricecakes, cos they have little hard bits in they get stuck in Ryan's throat and he coughs a bit. But if you think about it, adult ricecakes are the same sometimes so it's understandable.

Personally I would try not to panic and take it out because babies can feel your tension and it can make them panic too which really isn't good. Babys have a strong gag reflex so if she were to choke a few gags and a pat on the back she'd bring it up again. She'll be fine hun, there are alot of people on here that done baby led weaning so if you're worried then maybe have a read about it to get tips.

i am STILL nervous with finger foods and big lumps! i squash chickpeas and even sometimes peas!

i find some foods less scarey than others- toast is ok, rice cakes are ok, those baby organix savoury puffs things are ok- but i dont like biscuits either they are so hard!

my HV told me if baby has good head control they should be fine.

on the few occasions where millie has started choking iv quickly tipped her almost upside down over my knee and slapped her back- my HV said if that dont work try and get the blockage out with ur fingers but iv never needed to do that, it has always fallen out quite quickly. and millie never seems traumatised as soon as its out it frightens me more than her!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back