• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Help with colic

Geordie&Bairn

Reaction score
Colliers been screaming on and of since yesterday night all else has been eliminated hes been fed hes been changes hes not hot not cold hes been given comfort so we think its colic
My god my son has a rage like none ive ever heard before :shock:

James sister gave us teething granuels she said they worked on her daughter tried it last night it worked for 2 minutes then hes was off agian
and this morning it had no effect at all

James just gone out and got Infacol anyone used this before? its supposed to take a few days to kick in and work
Oh dear me :(

the screaming dosnt bother me as im worried for my son i hate seeing him in pain but the contant crying and screaming with little breakes in between just long enough to make you think greats hes finaly asleep. then he starts up agian

this is incredably draining :(

HELP :pray: :pray:

Im using infacol with Caitlyn for every feed now, and we get some belchers lol.

Are you still breastfeeding??

:hug: :hug: It is hard to listen to isnt it. Im always torn between wanting her to be quiet cos its grating on me and defo wanting to take her pain away as we would both feel better

:hug: :hug:

yes stil breastfeeding collier loves the breast and i love it to the bonding we get from it is lovely and i also have boobies now im well impressed 8) :lol:

hes still screaming he stops while i feed him then starts up agian
james step mum said i may be over feeding him :x :x :x so its my fault then hes crying :cry:

he has different cries and my boobs leak to the im hungry cry so how the hell am i over feeding him :x

hes now worked himslef up into such a rage hes got a heat rsh on his cheast we looked in our baby book and the rash is a heat rash al he was wearing was a one bodygrow

i was feeding him then noticed hes done a poo he then procceded to we up onto his clothes so we undressed him and i noticed the rash

im scared it must be a heat rash but all the screamong crying rage is making me feel :cry: and now this rash need a tear your hair out emotiocn

noting i do works rocking talking to him softly holding him rocking him in the car seat (we havnt got a bouncer yet)
james took him out lasr night in the car it only worked for as long as he was in the car as soon as taken out of the car he started up agian

each time ive managed to calm him down and he falls a sleep i leave it a few minutes just in case then i put him down and with in seconds hes screaming again :(

weve got him in only a nappy now to cool him down james is holding him and has said the rash dosnt look as bad now.
:)
He sucking on james finger he likes doing this bless him at the mo hes stopped crying but in dout that will last

I keep trying Caitlyn with a dummy but she doesnt seem to want it as she tended to show signs of wanting to feed when she was in pain screaming, we found that she likes to be on her tummy, either lay on the playmat on her tummy or lay on us on her tummy on our chest or over our shoulder

hi geordie, I'm sorry to hear collier has collic my first had terrible collic, so I really sympathize with you. infercol did help and having a good feeding routine seemed to help to. trying things like fresh air, car rides changing babies position, and white noice ie washing machine or hoover can help settle them to. it can be really hard but you'll find that hopefully by 3months it should have disipered. good luck :hug: :hug:

hi hun

Firstly, you can't overfeed a breastfed baby so that's just a load of b*llox! :x

My first and third LO's both had really bad colic. With my first we tried everything, from Infacol to Gripe water, with moderate results. You could try holding him on your arm, facing downwards (one arm and leg either side of your arm) and rubbing his back, this seems to bring some relief.
Ultimately somebody advised me to cut down on the amount of dairy in my diet and this really worked a treat.

With my third LO, he'd had a difficult birth (back to back) and my midwife recommended cranial osteopathy. From his third session he was a changed baby.

It's trial and error until you find the right solution for your LO.

Be strong, it's tough and exhausting but you'll get there..... :hug: :hug:

we tried everything with lil miss...the only thing that worked was ring sling and walking up and down and up and down up and down and up and down up and down and up and down up and down and up and down up and down and up and down up and down and up and down up and down and up and down up and down and up and down up and down and up and down up and down and up and down up and down and up and down up and down and up and down up and down and up and down up and down and up and down up and down and up and down up and down and up and down up and down and up and down up and down and up and down up and down and up and down up and down and up and down up and down and up and down up and down and up and down up and down and up and down up and down and up and down up and down and up and down the hallway till she'd go to sleep...

Squiglet said:
we tried everything with lil miss...the only thing that worked was ring sling and walking up and down and up and down up and down and up and down up and down and up and down up and down and up and down up and down and up and down up and down and up and down up and down and up and down up and down and up and down up and down and up and down up and down and up and down up and down and up and down up and down and up and down up and down and up and down up and down and up and down up and down and up and down up and down and up and down up and down and up and down up and down and up and down up and down and up and down up and down and up and down up and down and up and down up and down and up and down up and down and up and down up and down and up and down up and down and up and down the hallway till she'd go to sleep...

:rotfl: :rotfl: and :hug: :hug:

Sarah, I would recommend sticking with the Infacol but it will take a few days to work and you need to give it before every feed.

If there's no improvement, don't stop the Infacol but try Colief as well. It's available from most chemists. Here's a link

www.colief.com

I'm like a Colief sales rep but it just worked wonders on Tom!

Lx

See its been moved :rotfl: being a new mum i wasnt sure where to put it :oops:

thanks everyone for your advice :D Colliers now had 2 feeds so 2 lots of infocol hope it works i will get colife if it dosnt

Collier is asleep in his daddies arms at the mo cute and bliss some rest from the noise :lol:
His crying hasnt been so bad this afternoon mind hes proberly tired himself to sleep bless him. :hug: :hug:

awww hun, those first few weeks are so hard. Jack was just the same although he didn't have colic, he just stopped after a couple of weeks. :hug: :hug: :hug:

:hug: Sarah, Evie had bad colic but once the Infacol started working (it took about 5 days to start having an effect :x ) it has got much better.

Just stock up on headache tablets! :wink:

My Caitlyn cried from 6pm til 9pm this eve :x It really upsets me as i just wana take the pain away but she screamssss soooooooooooo loud!!! I gave her a bath and having the warm water on her tum seemed to ease her also.

Are you sure its colic? How is he once you burp him? I find Galen is much happier after a good burp (during feeds and only when he chooses to come off my boob do I wind him) and then also he settles well lying over my shoulder. Takes the pressure of his tummy.

Infacol seems to be working for us with his colic. Also a dummy but Collier is probably a bit too small for that yet. If its colic he will probably be drawing his legs up to his tummy. Is he doing this?

You cannot overfeed him breastfeeding tbh so don't fret about that. I'd burp him each time he comes off your boob. And maybe try adjusting the position you feed him in. If Galen lies too flat he sucks in more air and gets more wind.

His screaming when you put him down may well not be colic related at all, but simply comfort related. He wants the closeness of you and is not fooled by being put into a crib. He just wants to be held and cuddled. I'd go with that as much as you are able tbh. Galen was the same the first couple of weeks but he is much more relaxed now about going into his bed and settling. He goes off to sleep on his own in his crib now and although he loves his cuddles and can fuss when put into his crib for the most part the needing and wanting to be right next to me (or OH) is not as pressing as it was in those first two weeks.

Sucking on someones finger would help colic. Sucking is meant to help ease it, but not sucking on a boob as all that does is keep putting more pressure on his tummy etc and therefore more pressure on the problem.

Sherlock said:
Sucking on someones finger would help colic. Sucking is meant to help ease it, but not sucking on a boob as all that does is keep putting more pressure on his tummy etc and therefore more pressure on the problem.

Say for instance in my situation Caitlyn is bottle fed, If she was screaming in bewtween feeds, How would you know if they are sucking on your finger for the colic reason or cause they got hungrier earlier?

1sttimemum said:
Sherlock said:

Say for instance in my situation Caitlyn is bottle fed, If she was screaming in bewtween feeds, How would you know if they are sucking on your finger for the colic reason or cause they got hungrier earlier?

With Galen I go on if he is happy sucking on my finger and does not start fussing screaming and trying to root on anything else as an indication its probably colic bothering him, not hunger. When he sucks my finger and gets frustrated soonish and then starts trying to root on everything and anything I consider he is probably hungry so try him again on my boob. If he settles on it and actually feeds, then I know he's ok and was hungry. If he fusses and cries and comes off after a short while, I realise its probably colic related and so stop with the boob and go with dummy.

Also I look out for other signs with him, like the red face, pulling up of his legs and so on. Hunger has him simply screaming, colic has him screaming, going red, pulling faces and pulling his legs up.

Meant to say that there are some very gentle baby massage techniques which are great for colic.
Can you do a baby massage course? I tried to find some instructions online but haven't had much luck and need to hit the sack now.
Lxx

Sherlock said:
Are you sure its colic? How is he once you burp him? I find Galen is much happier after a good burp (during feeds and only when he chooses to come off my boob do I wind him) and then also he settles well lying over my shoulder. Takes the pressure of his tummy.

Infacol seems to be working for us with his colic. Also a dummy but Collier is probably a bit too small for that yet. If its colic he will probably be drawing his legs up to his tummy. Is he doing this?

You cannot overfeed him breastfeeding tbh so don't fret about that. I'd burp him each time he comes off your boob. And maybe try adjusting the position you feed him in. If Galen lies too flat he sucks in more air and gets more wind.

His screaming when you put him down may well not be colic related at all, but simply comfort related. He wants the closeness of you and is not fooled by being put into a crib. He just wants to be held and cuddled. I'd go with that as much as you are able tbh. Galen was the same the first couple of weeks but he is much more relaxed now about going into his bed and settling. He goes off to sleep on his own in his crib now and although he loves his cuddles and can fuss when put into his crib for the most part the needing and wanting to be right next to me (or OH) is not as pressing as it was in those first two weeks.

I Always burp him after a feed
Collers actually good at burping him self all it takes is me lifting him up of the breast and on to my cheast with his head staring over my shoulder and hes lets out his own burps that why i was confused with it being colic
but its not just attention seeking he's in a masive rage with it wether being held or put in a cot and it lasts for hours and it only started yesterday hes been fine till now
And he loves the breast but is so greedy and yes can latch on worng in his hurry and he guzzles like its going out of fashion and hes scared someone will steal it how do i stop him going that he must be sucking in air when he dose it and this may cause the problem

and we have heard his stomach make an lot of gurgling noises but the middy said this was normal.

im going to set up a thread on breast feeding
i feel im being judged as abad mum because he dosnt take on a full breast full and ive been trying god knows i have and hes getting more then enough milk from me the mid wife said he looked liked hed filled out happy and healthy and he drinks till the boob is empty so he gets all thats there

i feel a failure as his colic may be my fault as hes drawing in to much air when he feeds :cry: :cry: :cry: but he is so excited for the breast how do i regulate his breathing :? :?
some times he gets so excited he cant contain him slef and thrashs hid head about in search of the nipple and sucks on is hand or my arm and when i guide him to the nipplehe can resist this guidance and he gets annoyed

And yes ive tried different positions he hates rugy ball postion i dont much like it myslef its awkward to get into he like laying down my chest and suckling but i cant lay down for every feed and he latchs bettter on the right then the left but the left seems to make the most milk :?

LucyBee said:
Meant to say that there are some very gentle baby massage techniques which are great for colic.
Can you do a baby massage course? I tried to find some instructions online but haven't had much luck and need to hit the sack now.
Lxx

We use baby massage at bath time and nappy change time one of us changes or baths him the other gives a massage with music playing in the back ground Collier loves this his hand and face and feet our his favorite places to be stroked
ive got a few baby classical music cds and with my bounty pack i got a free baby massge instruction cd with more music on it weve been using this and Collier enjoys both the massage and the music :D

I wouldnt mind going on a baby massage course and a breast feeding one too

Geordie&Bairn said:
i feel a failure as his colic may be my fault as hes drawing in to much air when he feeds :cry: :cry: :cry: but he is so excited for the breast how do i regulate his breathing :? :?

:hug: don't be silly! you're not failing or doing anything wrong- its just one of those things some babies get!

It'll get better hun (although I know it doesn't feel like it!) :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clark Gracen
Back