Help Mother & Baby Clinic tommorrow

Jollypops

Reaction score
Now that Calum weighs 6lbs the Health Visitor doesn't come any more and we are due to go to the Mother & Baby Clinic which is every Wednesday so our first visit is due to be tommorrow. The thing is i'm alittle scared if i'm to be honest, i don't really like meeting new people as i find it quiet hard and also the area that the clinic is in is classed as a deprived area, please dont read me wrong i dont have anything wrong with anyone living in the area as i lived there when growing up and have worked bloody hard to get where i am now but i think in my mind that they are all going to be young mums with numerous kids and that i'm going to hate it.
Can you help me out by letting me know if you go to a Mother & Baby Clinic? What do you do there? What have been or are you experiences?

:wave: I go mother & baby clinic but I'm a 19 year old single mum so probably not the answer you are looking for.... :? I just get Evie weighed, ask any questions and have a chat with the other mums- for me its just an excuse to get out TBH.

Talk to new people- you might be suprised...

Only advice is be open with people and dont judge them.
Whatever background they or you may be from you are all there for one reason.. your child. Its one thing in common and all you will need to talk about

Thanks for your reply Jade. I dont have a problem with single/young mums, i just for some reason i dont feel comfortable meeting new people. I seem to give out a bad vibe (quiet stern, and stuck up (so i've been told) and i dont mean too and i'm neither of them infact i'm far from it. I do talk to people and will try tommorrow, i dont have a problem with older people so why do i have this problem with the same age or younger :wall: :wall: I will overcome this (I repeat to myself over and over again)

Don't be nervous- a baby is the best thing when it comes to new people because you can never have nothing to say IYKWIM- think of M&B clinic as a local mini PF.

Good Luck and let us know how you get on ( :pray: I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you aren't going to come back and tell us you've spent an hour with a load of Vicki Pollards.... :lol: :lol: )

I went to my first clinic last Thursday and, like you, I don't really like meeting new people, especially those the same age or younger! It was a bit daunting when I first walked in - a hall full of mums/dads with their children. Some were with the health visitors and getting weighed, others were chatting and others were playing with kids on the playmats. I was lucky as I saw the woman who I used to see at every midwife appointment in the surgery waiting room, so I got chatting to her and we had endless things to talk about as her girl was born just a week after mine. Generally it's just parents who are there to get their kiddies weighed/ask questions/meet people. Relax, smile and it'll be fine. And of course it's always exciting to see how much LO weighs!!! x

when i go noone talks to each other anyway . They just get the baby weighed ask a few questions if needed and then go. im lucky if im there 5 mins!!!
its only small though there is probabaly 5 or 6 babies each time i go and its open for 2 hours.
i remember when my lo got to the 6ib mark and HV stopped coming to my house to weigh him , i was so nervous and all the other babies looked so big , they all assumed he was a new born and not 2 half months!!! xx

Think of it this way: most of those young mums are going to be even more nervous and scared than you, you may be nervous about being standoffish, and they'll be nervous about apperaing immature. So you're all in the same boat

Hi,

Try not to worry to much, I think you have built this awful picture in your head and will find that you will be plesently surprised once you have been :) All you do is get your baby weighed and ask the HV any questions you might have. You have to completly undress your baby (nappy as well) and then your LO goes on the scales, for me thats the fussy bit as it takes so long lol

You dont "have" to talk to other mums, in fact you will probably find that most of the mums will be undressing or dressing their own babies and running after them anyway. You will find that the odd one or two mums may strike a conversation but thats a good thing, its the start of making new firends for both you and your LO and it will come so naturally that you will look back at this and think what was all the fuss about :D

Have fun

T xx

Well we went! Was sort of like i though it would be, not really any newborn babies just 3 of us and the rest toddlers running around every where. Parents seem to sit on the floor :? and low be hold if anyone looks at each other! :shock:
Had to sign in when we got there and say that i wanted him weighed so just sat and waited to be seen which took an hour or so. Was spoken to by the staff of the centre as though us newbies knew about all the local centres and classes and when i said i was new to all this and where were they and further information it was like i spoke in a different lanuage :think: as they didnt give me any info at all :wall:
So back again this week and see what happens.

i walk in sign the book tell them if i want to see hv or not get him weighed wait about to see hv if i want to then walk out i dont chat to anyone at all, i try to go on a tues evening as no1 else is there im quite anti-social and dont speak to people anyways :oops:
xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back