Help - may need to give up breastfeeding

Nicky_Jones

Reaction score
Can anybody help me. I may need to give up breastfeeding Ellie soon and I really, really don't want to. Some of you may be aware I have been quite ill and run down recently. Started of with 4 colds on the trot, with the 4th I got a secondary bacterial infection. Dr perscribed penicillin which cleared it up and I was starting to improve and my milk supply started to pick back up again but at the weekend I got a stomach bug (obviously I am still run down), which had me vomitting and diarhea and was so bad I passed out trying to get back to bed from going to the toilet, I woke up being sick on the floor. I seem to have got over that again but my milk supply is so low I couldn't get enough of during the day yesterday for Ellie in nursery today and Ellie couldn't get enough milk of me last night for her feed before bedtime I had to use some of the little I had expressed of for today just to give her enough before bed. Today was marginally better but I still only got of 7oz to cover 2 feeds. I built up a reasonable supply in the freezer before returning to work but that is dwindling fast and I can only supplement her nursery feeds now for another 4 days max. Does anybody have any advice?

Hiya. have been been told about feeugeek? (SP) its been mentioned a lot on here too. It increase milk supply. If you keep expressing and letting her feed from you as much as possiable your milk will come back. Even let her nurse when she is not hungry.

If this fails you dont have to give up completly. I think you could give her boob when you are there for her. IG morning, nights. and formula whan she is at nursery.

I am sure someone ele will be a long soon with some advice!

Maybe you should see doctor as too why you keep getting ill?

jade

Oh Nicky poor you, you have had a rough time recently :hug:

I was also going to suggest fenugreek, Tasha has started taking it so perhaps you can ask her what she thinks. Its also worth drinking BF tea though I have heard regular fennel tea also helps.

I hope you recover very soon and I am sure you'll be able to get your supply up and wont have to completely give up :hug:

Just googled fenugreek and looks like Schwartz do it but describe it as something to add to caseroles etc. How do you take it?

Ignore that just found Holland and Barrett also do it. I will go there tomorrow lunchtime from work and grab some. Thanks.

heres a :hug: for you nicky.
you look after yourself & i hope you are feeling back to normal soon. :hug: :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mara14
Back