Hellooo Tri3! & first question - when does maternity leave automatically start?

Dollie

Reaction score
Hiya ladies! Wow i cant believe im in tri3 already :) i hope everyone is happy and healthy.
Well, here goes my first tri3 question:
I have been off work sick with pay due to SPD and sciatica, my question is when can my employer make my maternity leave start if im still off ill? I'd read somewhere 11 weeks before due date so had it in my head from week 29 but just read on direct.gov website its from 36 weeks. Does anyone have any experience of this at all? if its 36 weeks thats great as its when i was planning on starting it anyway, but if its 29 we just cant afford it. I really cant see me being able to go back to work as i am in agony and its an hours drive each way :-( xx

The earliest date u can choose to start mat leave is 11 wks before. In terms of an employer forcing it, its 4 weeks before but only applicable if u are off sick after the beginning of the 4th week before expected week of birth and its pg related.
so u shud be fine.
Oh and welcome to tri 3 :)

Thats great jomc, thanks. Takes away some of the stress, was really starting to worry about how we'd manage. I must have got the two mixed up xx

Welcome to Tri3 hun, Sorry I can't be of any help to your question though, I'm stupid! xxx

Last edited:
Hi there.....welcome to tri3 :) deffo 4 weeks before expected due date. Sorry to hear you have been suffering with SPD. xxx

Thanks Forestlas, just 13 weeks (ish) to get through, ill cope a lot better if i dont have to work and can avoid driving - even if i do feel a bit of a recluse at the mo, lol x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back