Has Anyone Thought About The Birth Yet?

babyelmo

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I know it's still very early days but has anyone started to think about the kind of birth they'd like?

I don't know what possessed me but i've been watching One Born Every Minute on 4od and seeing the painful horror stories!! I had a great birth with my daughter. I was induced as she was 11 days late. Labour started quickly as I hadnt realise the tightenings i'd been having the night before were contractions!!! I started off in the birthing pool but had to get out to have a ventouse because she got stuck. The only time I felt like I needed pain relief was when they were attaching the ventouse cap, the rest of the time I coped really well!

I'm hoping this time will be similar, but I was watching ladies who'd had an epidural. Wow! They just sit chatting, reading, snoozing and become fully dilated without even realising it!! That sounds very appealing to me, as the bit I found hardest about labour was how much hard work it was (I was pushing for 3 hours in the pool before they got me out)

I'm just being nosey really, wondering what everyone else thinks they'll do! :)

I'd like to do it as naturally as possible as we've had a lot of medical help to concieve.
Saying that though I'm not opposed to the drugs but I hate dead limbs so an epidural might freak me out!!

I'm not sure what's going to happen. Ideally would like a water birth but don't know if I can have this under consultant care? I'm just going to go with the flow, that way I won't get disappointed if I have my heart set on something

I'd never thought about having dead limbs from an epidural! I can't imagine what it would feel like.

I was under consultant care last time and still started off in the pool so I can't imagine it would be a problem. I didn't think too much about my birth plan last time, I just said i'd like to take each stage as it comes. I don't know why i'm thinking about it so early on with this one! My controlling side and need to be organised maybe?! :)

You neve know how it will go! I had a right bad time of it with my LO, but that stems from the complication during pregnancy, had a big effect on how the labour went. Throughout my pregnancy made me feel better to have a birth plan, but I didn't even think about when the time came... not that I could because of what was going on anyways.

When it happens though you just do it and you are so focused on getting LO out safely there is nothing else on your mind... except pain relief lol

I wonder what will happen with me this time. I'm hoping that I can go for vbac rather than a section, will find out in a couple of weeks!

xxxx

I,ll be trying to get a water birth. I had one with my second and it was great. Been a bit more worried about the pain this time round, coz I no what I,m in for lol, plus I get bad after pains and my mw said they get worse after each birth so I,m a bit worried about that.

I haven't thought too much about it but like the idea of a water birth and it being as natural as possible. But I think I'll have to see how I handle things when the time comes xx

Last edited:
I'm going with the flow this time I had a terrible labour with my daughter but that was a staff issue and mistakes being made which led to it being bad! So I'm hoping this time will be very different as I'm in a different hospital which is supposedly better! Although I won't have a pool birth which upsets me as this is where my problems strews last time not because of the pool but because of staff but it has now it me off ever getting in again during labour!

Ive thought about it and put it to the back of my mind for now, your brave watching one boprn every minute, This is my first and pain threshold is soo low so im really dreading it.. is it as bad as its made out to be x

I loved being in the water and i'm thinking of going for a water birth again. I don't want to get my hopes up though because there's only one birthing pool at my hospital.

Loula - I didn't find it as bad as i'd thought but everyone's different. I went into a kind of trance; I could see my contractions happening but I was able to relax and ride them out. It got painful just before I started pushing, then by the time they got me out of the pool I was absolutely exhausted, I remember asking the Dr if i could go home and come and have another go tomorrow!! For me the most difficult part was just how much sheer hard work it was. I was pushing but she was getting stuck and I could feel her going back up after each contraction. That said, everyone's different. A friend of mine had no idea she was going to go into labour until one evening she felt strange, she started having contractions, they got to hospital and 10 mins later baby was born! I guess baby's got to come out one way or another and you just have to go with what's right for you and him/her.

I had gas and air only on my first 4 kiddies bit the last 2 were 100% natural if I had the choice I would love an epidural but my labours are so quick I have never had the chance I'm terrified I won't make it to hospital this time.

I am hopIng to give birth in the midwifery run birthing centre at my hospital. Ideally I would like a natural water birth with as little pain relief as possible but you never know how you are going to feel when the time comes. I am interested in hypno birthing too so I'm going to look into that. At the birthing centre they have private rooms with either a pool or a big double bath plus they encourage the dads to stay at the hospital over night if you are kept in, as they have some double beds too.

well...i kept an open mind when i was pregnant with my DD and wanted to do it as naturally as possible...lets just say i was glad the birthing centre was closed when i went in as i ended up having the epidural and it was the best thing ever, that good that i am already decided that's what's gonna happen this time unless things progress too quickly obviously but i am soooo hoping that wont happen as i am such a wuss where pain is concerned haha! xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back