harvest festival

budge

Reaction score
can u remember when you were a child taking a tin of fruit or a vegetable in to school for the elderly?

We went to church on sunday (i go once a month to the family service . the girls go with brownies and i stay for a sing song) and there was a harvest festival collection there. It took me back years.

i don't think all aschools do it now :(

:D yeah!!! the church was full of wrinklies

I did that haha
I took baked beans lol
it went to the local hospice

Oh they do!!! The kids have been drawing pics for their harvest assemblies and practising harvest songs.

When I was at primary school they used to make up lovely food and veg baskets for people - when I was what is now yr 6 we went out delivering them to elderly people!!! When I was even younger I told my mum i needed stuff for harvest vegetable. She still calls it that.

I just asked mine - from their blank and gormless expressions, their school don't do it anymore. Charlotte: 'that's a church thing, we're not allowed to do church things at school'. :(

Jonah's school does it. I can't wait! I didn't realise places didn't do it!!

tracyM said:
I just asked mine - from their blank and gormless expressions, their school don't do it anymore. Charlotte: 'that's a church thing, we're not allowed to do church things at school'. :(
Why?? cos otehr religions dissapprove??

My school was a church of England school
my primary wasnt though

what amazes me is there were so many sikhs etc at my secondary school - Why would they want to go there?
If a white christian person wanted to join a sikh school NO way would they be allowed lol

Our school does it, was it for the elderly i thought it was for homeless people

mum used to give us all the stuff she didnt want anymore, we used to have bags of it.
:(
we looked like right freaks walking into school.

i think our school still does it, and a show where all the money that is raised id given to whoever..

Becksss said:
tracyM said:

There's no other religions there, it's 99.9% white British. Headmaster is a right pr!ck.

tracyM said:
Becksss said:
tracyM said:

There's no other religions there, it's 99.9% white British. Headmaster is a right pr!ck.
:shock: why the hell they dissapproving then?? Its a lovely thing to do the amount they could collect from all the pupils could right make a difference

my school was cheap and we just paid 10p for a piece of paper (shaped as a fruit) and got to colour it in and stick it on the wall in the section of our class and whoever got the most won :rotfl:

My girls school do harvest festival, they go to a c of e school. Beths homework this week was to research it!!

My school do it too, although I hate the harvest songs...v.boring. Roll on Christmas and nativities and carols :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: My favourite!!!

Becksss said:
tracyM said:
Becksss said:
tracyM said:

:shock: why the hell they dissapproving then?? Its a lovely thing to do the amount they could collect from all the pupils could right make a difference

Because it "might" just offend someone of another religion... :roll: :roll: :roll: Sad!

I never had this though... It's not a white "Christian" thing, the harvest festival...it's very much a church of England thing... Catholics don't tend to do... its too :shock: Paganistic.... :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: Says the church that celebrates All Hallows Eve, and Christmas with a Christmas tree :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Squiglet said:
Becksss said:
tracyM said:
Becksss said:
tracyM said:

Because it "might" just offend someone of another religion... :roll: :roll: :roll: Sad!

I never had this though... It's not a white "Christian" thing, the harvest festival...it's very much a church of England thing... Catholics don't tend to do... its too :shock: Paganistic.... :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: Says the church that celebrates All Hallows Eve, and Christmas with a Christmas tree :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Bizarre isnt it :lol:

Actually all christian "holidays" inclusing easter, xmas, the whole lot, have pagan roots and were covered over with christian versions to aid thier cause in abolishing paganism.

Harvest festival comes from the celebrations of the Autumn equinox.

Yeah LO's school still does it. I always buy Tescos' own coz I'm not buying top brands but I'm too embarrassed to send Tesco value :oops: :lol:

At our school, we were encouraged to take fruit and veg, I can't remember any1 taking tins!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
candigrams
Back