Had my consultant appointment today

MrsKLloyd

Reaction score
Im sure U all kno of me as the moaning mrs Lloyd who only comes on to rant but I rly need advice, those who have been following my threads will kno since week 30 I've had various health issues concerning me n baby meaning I keep getting kept in hospital, monitored reviewed and then released after I beg to go home.
This happened again today, I was ill yesterday and all night gave in n called the mw unit at 4am various tests showed raised bp, very high pulse protein in urine, infection present in urine n bloods, they tried 5 times to get a drip in me but as so dehydrated they failed. I've just been let out on the grounds that I rest, drink loads, keep down basic plain foods and if pains change go straight bk.
Anyway my consultant appointment is Tuesday, am I able to request a c - section for my due date as I can hardly breath n function with daily chores im pa icing about coping in labour!!!!! Never crossed my mind until today and how hard it is for me to drag myself to the loo let alone pick up my son anymore!! :-(

Last edited:
You can ask hun, I'm not sure on the c-section requests atm?? I'm sure you they would take your request seriously though as you have been through alot this pregnancy.

I said to OH after I had pneumonia, then the following week another cold that there is no way I could labour I would have to have a section while in this state!

No harm in asking hun :hug:

I've never liked the idea before due to length of aftercare but I worry if I struggled getting my son Reu out in time when I was perfectly healthy and had slept that this time I wouldn't make it in time :-( I such a horrible thought :-(

id defo ask youve got some valid reasons x

Hey

I asked for a c section and this has been granted under maternal choice. My consultant and midwife were fantastic, listened to my fears and problems and said they would support either mode of delivery. I knew I wanted a section and the relief I've felt in the last 3 weeks since its all been put in place is unbelievable. I was getting myself all stressed and worried.

So I'm booked in for an elective on 11th October. Won't bore you with the details As to why but basically it is my choice. Do lots of research into maternal choice and put your points to your care providers. Im so thankful mine listened and I get to do this my way.

Good luck.
Xxx

I was induced with my 1st with preclamsia at 39 weeks, I had v high blood pressure, protein and all the other things that come with it :( in fact i remember my hand swelling and you could actually see it happening!!! Babys heartbeat was very fast on the monitor too.

They started me off on the monday and it took them untill Thursday to get me into actual labour. By then i was very tired as was baby as his heart beat kept slowing with the contractions. I was told at 8pm if i hadn't done 8 cms by 11pm i would be going down for a c-section. Anyways 11 came and i'd just done it :).

Harrison was born on Friday the 13th at 02.18 am :)

I would really avoid a c-section if you can as you will be in alot of pain afterwards and it's much more rewarding to do it yourself, i'm not sure a doctor would say yes to one they may induce you like they did me if they think there's a danger to you or the baby instead xxxxx

Good luck!

I was induced with my 1st with preclamsia at 39 weeks, I had v high blood pressure, protein and all the other things that come with it :( in fact i remember my hand swelling and you could actually see it happening!!! Babys heartbeat was very fast on the monitor too.

They started me off on the monday and it took them untill Thursday to get me into actual labour. By then i was very tired as was baby as his heart beat kept slowing with the contractions. I was told at 8pm if i hadn't done 8 cms by 11pm i would be going down for a c-section. Anyways 11 came and i'd just done it :).

Harrison was born on Friday the 13th at 02.18 am :)

I would really avoid a c-section if you can as you will be in alot of pain afterwards and it's much more rewarding to do it yourself, i'm not sure a doctor would say yes to one they may induce you like they did me if they think there's a danger to you or the baby instead xxxxx

Good luck!

I managed a natural birth with no pain relief with my son after an emergancy induction (due to his heartrate) i was given 1 last min to get him out before i was to be rushed for a C-Section because they were panicing saying he wasn't going to make it bla bla (i didnt hear any of this i was in too much pain but my husband heard it all)
Up until now a C-Section has never crossed my mind, but having the issues i've had recently and how unwell i am i fear for the baby and myself if i went into natural labour i wouldnt be able to get him out, i'm exhuasted and fainting after the simplest of chores/walking upstairs.
I think i need to do some more research but at the moment its the only way i can think of having my baby safely :-(

So scared right now!

I have chronic fatigue syndrome and this was one of the major stresses for me - not being able to physically cope with the labour and not getting our baby out safely. So I understand. I know people think its the easy option which upsets me as this was by no means an easy choice to have to make. I am just lucky to have great care and support offered to me from the consultant and midwife.

I hope you get your answers soon. And best of luck!
x

I have chronic fatigue syndrome and this was one of the major stresses for me - not being able to physically cope with the labour and not getting our baby out safely. So I understand. I know people think its the easy option which upsets me as this was by no means an easy choice to have to make. I am just lucky to have great care and support offered to me from the consultant and midwife.

I hope you get your answers soon. And best of luck!
x

Thanks hun, exactly how I feel no way an easy choice I do worry about the aftercare part with not being able to do anything but I have an amazing family.

I don't think anyone will see this as an easy choice for you, you've had a difficult pregnancy and you don't want to put your body through the stress of labour if you don't think you or the baby will cope. I think you have perfectly reasonable grounds to request an elective CS, as long as you know you may have to move hospitals as some refuse to do them on account of their 'numbers' and safety statistics (which personally I think is ridiculous!). Your local health board might have a leaflet on it, this is mine: http://www.nhsforthvalley.com/__doc...nd-childrens/finalcaesareansectionleaflet.pdf xx

Each person in the uk has the right to chose what type of delivery they want to have. Look up maternal choice and the winterton & cumberledge report. Every Nhs Board has to listen to individual cases and providing its not a ridiculous reason why they should fully support your decision. I work within a team who deals with surgical site infection and I was able to look at stats and whatever else, but all this information is available freely to anyone if you look on the Gobernment websites. I live in Scotland so therefore it's the SGHD or HPS websites I look at and not sure what the English equivalent is. I still have all my research and would be happy to post it to you if you want. Just pm me if you want it.

Anyway, totally rambling but I'm sure you wil e fine if you can get to speak to your midwife and consultant. My family are also amazing and I know it's only with their help after the birth that I will be able to manage! Super excited today though....cannot wait until I hold my little baby in my arms! ;) xxx

Well i'm fuming. - Stressed, upset, tired, fed up, end of the line going to give up!
Yet again i saw someone different, my consultant was not in for my appointment.

This lady basically said they cannot find a secure reason for any of the issues, lots of things could be causing everything but nothing has been confirmed.
The baby is growing on the slightly large scale, which made her ask about if i'd had a GTT which i explain i went in for one but was moved wards due to being unwell at the time and it was never done (this was many weeks ago, ive been in loads times since and its not been picked up on that i needed to have one) so she has reffered me for an urgent GTT on Saturday as she feels 'this is the missing piece to the puzzle'

If the GTT comes back clear, they will see me at 38s to reasess but likely they will leave me to full term, not going to help and expect me to just go in everytime i get a pain / unwell / baby doesnt move at least 10 times in a day.

If GTT comes back with eveidence i'm diabetic they will see me in the week and work out a plan of action then.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh im fed up :-(

Well i'm fuming. - Stressed, upset, tired, fed up, end of the line going to give up!

This lady basically said they cannot find a secure reason for any of the issues, lots of things could be causing everything but nothing has been confirmed.
The baby is growing on the slightly large scale, which made her ask about if i'd had a GTT which i explain i went in for one but was moved wards due to being unwell at the time and it was never done (this was many weeks ago, ive been in loads times since and its not been picked up on that i needed to have one) so she has reffered me for an urgent GTT on Saturday as she feels 'this is the missing piece to the puzzle'

If the GTT comes back clear, they will see me at 38s to reasess but likely they will leave me to full term, not going to help and expect me to just go in everytime i get a pain / unwell / baby doesnt move at least 10 times in a day.

If GTT comes back with eveidence i'm diabetic they will see me in the week and work out a plan of action then.

OMG this sounds so much like my pregnancy with my son. I was polyhydramnios, no reason for it, just how I carried him. Each time I went to clinic I saw someone different and they all had different views and opinions. I was told I would not be left to go to term because the amount of fluid I was carrying was extreme... in the end I think nobody wanted responsiblity for me so they left me and I did go natural... but it didn't go very well and after I'd had a nightmare labour that ended in emergency section I was told I should not have been allowed to have a labour in the first place, should've been straight to section :wall2:

One thing I learnt last week is that you can refuse to see anybody but your consultant, or even the registrar.

My advice to you is get an appointment asap with the highest person they can muster, don't let them fob you off and pin them down.

Each time you have been to clinic do they get a urine sample from you? DOes your MW? SUrely to warrant GTT you would have glucose in your urine consistently?

Sound like you are getting passed round the houses, and I know how that feels. You just want someone to step in and help but instead of left up in the air and helpless.

Massive :hug:

OMG this sounds so much like my pregnancy with my son. I was polyhydramnios, no reason for it, just how I carried him. Each time I went to clinic I saw someone different and they all had different views and opinions. I was told I would not be left to go to term because the amount of fluid I was carrying was extreme... in the end I think nobody wanted responsiblity for me so they left me and I did go natural... but it didn't go very well and after I'd had a nightmare labour that ended in emergency section I was told I should not have been allowed to have a labour in the first place, should've been straight to section :wall2:

One thing I learnt last week is that you can refuse to see anybody but your consultant, or even the registrar.

My advice to you is get an appointment asap with the highest person they can muster, don't let them fob you off and pin them down.

Each time you have been to clinic do they get a urine sample from you? DOes your MW? SUrely to warrant GTT you would have glucose in your urine consistently?

Sound like you are getting passed round the houses, and I know how that feels. You just want someone to step in and help but instead of left up in the air and helpless.

Massive :hug:

Oh hun that sounds horrible :-(
Thank god everything is ok now for you, I would have made some serious complaints after finding out you should have a section anyway.

I do indeed feel like im just being seed about, different consultants & midwives everytime :-(
Apparent GTT should have been done at start as raised BMI but was missed, then should have been done after 2 times reporting something in the urine that suggests possible pregnancy diabetes or something like that.
obviously seeing different ppl everytime has resulted in things being missed :-(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back