GTT tomorrow *updated*

Bunnykins

Reaction score
I've got my gtt tomorrow, am so dreading it, 13 hrs without food will proper set my morning sickness off again, I'm only allowed plain water too, which makes me balk at the best of times never mind on an empty stomach :sick: at least I'm allowed to take lucozade instead of the gross glucose drink. Dreading the results tho just hope it all comes back ok. not sure I can cope with the ball ache of diabetes for rest of the pregnancy!

Last edited:
Ul be ok I had to do this twice ( as hosp forgot to send ny first bloods off and they spoiled!) and the worst part was being bored waiting round!! Good luck hope it goes ok xx

Hope all goes well! Keep me informed as I have to go for this too! X

Thanks!!! Off to have my last cuppa and biccie before the 10pm deadline :) will let u know how it goes

Good luck, enjoy your last cuppa! Could you suck ice cubes instead of drinking water?

Ok had my test this morning and my results were back by 3pm, all my blood levels were normal so NO diabetes whoop whoop, and she said my iron levels were some of the highest she'd seen so whatever I'm doing I'm doing it right and should carry on lol!!! It's a big relief I'm carrying quite a few extra pounds and really thought I'd be prone to gestational diabetes, now I can sit back and relax for the next few months :)

For those having this test it was fine, you get there and they do a finger pricked test then take blood to check your antibodies, glucose & iron levels, then u are given about 400mls of a glucose drink (roughly 2 cups full) I was allowed original lucozade, you have to drink it quite quick so its good to open it the night before to let some of the fizz out, then you wait 2 hrs and she takes ur blood again. I felt fine just a bit hungry but no dizziness or headache, my 2 hrs flew by as I got chatting to 2 lovely girls having the same test! I'd advise taking a sarnie or banana or something to eat as soon as the last lot of bloods are taken. Results are then ready later that afternoon she said u either have diabetes or u don't there is no maybe about it, so u defo get a result. Hope that helps, its honestly not that bad, just a bit long and drawn out!

so glad the results were good hun!
does everyone have to have this test?

xxx

so glad the results were good hun!
does everyone have to have this test?

xxx

Thankfully no most people dont need it, its only if you have a high bmi, glucose in your urine, or a history of diabetes in your family, so if mw hasn't mentioned it by 20 weeks then you probably won't need it :)

glad everything went ok :)
and thank you for informing me of this, doesnt seem as bad now haha!

i think i have to go for mine at 28weeks x

Thankyou for the info hunny, I was really wondering about what this is for when I have to do it, MW told me the other day but not really in depth xxx

Last edited:
Thankyou for the info hunny, I was really wondering about what this is for when I have to do it, MW told me the other day but not really in depth xxx

No problems! It's one of those tests that sounds worse than it actually is, they ask u not to eat after 10pm night before so that by the time of ur test in the morning ur body has no sugar in it at all kind of like resetting u to zero (if the finger prick test shows high level then they won't give u the glucose as it could be dangerous) then they overload u with a specified amount of glucose which they know should be processed by ur body in 2 hrs, u have to sit quietly because if u run or walk around that effects how ur body breaks stuff down, so hopefully the aim is by 2 hrs ur blood should be back to normal levels again, if they aren't and there is still sugar in ur blood then they know its not working as it should be and u have diabetes.

At my hospital the next step if u do have diabetes is then to see the diabetes nurse who helps u with an eating plan to control it, u have a little device to pricked ur finger everyday, each week the diabetes nurse downloads the info from it to check how well its being controlled, and you have extra growth scans for the baby as it can make them bigger than average when born, nurse reckoned the diabetes disappears when u give birth although they give u another glucose test when baby is 6 weeks old to check it has gone. Hope that helps shed some more light on it :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back