Frozen Breastmilk

charlie84

Reaction score
I have alot of frozen breastmilk in my freezer from when i was expressing to try Calleigh with a bottle. Since she refuses the bottle i have been left with quite a bit of milk. Now does anyone know how long this is good to keep?
I have since been donating my milk but if the stuff i have already stored for her is no good i really want to start expressing for her again so that she has a stock of milk which i can use when weaning and for her to drink from a sippy cup.

Oh dear, gonna be alot of wasted boobiemilk :( :cry:

Thanks Jollypops
Think i better start on saving milk for missy :)

I poured about 2l of the stuff down the drain a couple of weeks ago as she was refusing it and I needed freezer space. Such a shame :(

Hi,

I was a breast milk donor and also had some spare in the freezer. The milk bank happily took it off me even though I'd expressed it before I became a donor. Perhaps worth asking them before you tip it down the sink.

I *think* I have read somewhere that you should try and give frozen milk to your LO within a month of freezing it as breast milk changes to suit the baby's needs and older milk may cause tummy upsets.

sunnyday said:
Hi,

I was a breast milk donor and also had some spare in the freezer. The milk bank happily took it off me even though I'd expressed it before I became a donor. Perhaps worth asking them before you tip it down the sink.

I *think* I have read somewhere that you should try and give frozen milk to your LO within a month of freezing it as breast milk changes to suit the baby's needs and older milk may cause tummy upsets.

Thanks Sunnyday but i already questioned the extra breastmilk with the bank and unfortunately as i have used breastmilk bags they cant except it :( Such a shame as there is gonna be so much waste :(

As far as I've been told by MW and HV it's 3 months :think:

I ended up with surplus frozen milk which Lo refused to drink in the end. I used it when I cooked for her - it went into sauces, muffins, scrambled eggs etc. I have no idea if it retains any of the goodness once cooked, but I couldn't bear wasting it.

fothers said:
I poured about 2l of the stuff down the drain a couple of weeks ago as she was refusing it and I needed freezer space. Such a shame :(

Gutting!!!!!!!!! I could cry when 3oz is wasted lol

It depends on your freezer. All food keep for different amounts of time in different freezers. A big efficient freezer will keep milk for longer than a fridge freezer.
http://www.lansinoh.co.uk/StoringBreastmilk.php
This link also tells you who did the research to find out how long it can last.

This may not be your sort of thing, but breast milk has a lot of good properties. I used it on the dermatitis on my hand and it cleared up no problem. Online I have found people with cancer drinking a few oz a day as that helps. If you have a cold or anything you might like to have some yourself.

When you start weaning most things can be mixed with breastmilk - anything puréed for example. Or baby rice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JenniferU
Back