Finger foods

Becky&Willow

Reaction score
Willow is nearly 6 months and i still dont give her fingerfoods as i am sacared to death of her chokeing as i have a chokeing phobia myself when is a good age to start finger foods as i was thinking when they reach 7 months ish as they will be on stage 2 and food will become lumpier my mum gives her biscottis suitable fom 6 months but i cant watch as i am so scared of her chokeing.

When is a good age?

HELP!!!!

Ive been giving Evie finger foods from about 5 months (she is only 2 days younger than Willow), just stuff like dry toast. She loves it and has never once choked. she has gagged a couple of time if she chewed of a lump too big, but if she does that i just give her a drink of juice and shes fine.
I suggest if you are given Willow finger foods that she is in a highchair that sits her back up really straight as any slight recline can increase the risk of her choking.
Even if she does choke just try to stay calm and pat her hard on the back a few times, dont stick your fingers in her mouth as thismay lodge the food further down the throat.
Good luck hunand let us know how you get on :D .

Try rice cakes if you are nervous, they just melt into nothing when your little one puts them in their mouth and the saliva hits them!

Austin's had finger foods from day 1 of weaning, he loves feeding himself. He's choked a couple of times but coughs it up pretty quickly. His biggest problem is he keeps shovelling food in even when he's choking, and refuses to spit it out!

Rice cakes are great, you could try some soft fruits like melon too, just cut a thin sliver and leave the skin on so it's easier to hold.

Grace has been on finger food for about 4 weeks now........

Toast, Peach/ Nectarine slices (skins peeled), Melon slices, Cooked Baby Sweetcorn, Rice Cakes, Cucumber Slices,

Ruby always had some type of finger food with every meal, wether it was a bit of rusk, or rice cakes etc....

She has always had Biscottis, I noticed on the pack yesterday they say suitable from 6 months with milk, and 9 months as finger foods, so I would say if she is coping ok with them as finger foods now, I wouldnt worry, she should be fine.....

I was always a bit worried Rubes would choke but I always sat with her, and had some juice to hand. She tend to cram loads in her mouth, and gags, but then spits it all out again :roll: Nice :rotfl:

alice used to gag, but she soon learned. Bread was the funniest as it used to stick to the roof of her mouth. She kinda knows how to deal with it now though.

Stick to soft food, or those that will disolve (rice cakes that type of thing). As she learns how to use her tounge to move the food around her mouth, she will gag less.

alice started blw at 6 months. Set a date in your head and go for it.

:hug:

I mainly gave Jake Organix Finger Foods carrot stix at first(like big wotsits and you can get them in supermarket baby food ailse). I knew Jake couldn't choke on them because they just melt in the mouth. Jake also had toast fingers and soft rusks occasionally but to be honest he has only been having finger foods properly since he was about 9 1/2 months. He copes fine with them now although I still have to watch he doesn't put too much in his mouth. I would maybe try Willow with something like the carrot stix at first and then gradually introduce other things. Don't feel you have to rush if you don't feel comfortable giving Willow certain things for the time being though.

im scared abourt giving oran finger foods as well cause when I tried him with rusk (cause someone said he would be ok cause it just melts in the mouth) he bit a big chunk off (he has a really strong bite to say there is no teeth) it got stuck in his throat and he was choking, went red, eyes watering, and I had to remove the cunk from his throat, now Im petrafied of giving him anything finger food wise!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waqas432
Back