Few concerns

maldives

Reaction score
I won't make it long but plz tell me its' normal.

1- sorry if (TMI), I have noticed a bad smell in my LO ears. I usually wipe them dry after bath and sometimes i use the baby cotton buds. yesterday i guess i didn't wipe his ears well so i noticed a bad smell coming from his ears and noticed some water. I freaked if it was discharge but it wasn't as it was clear water and non afterwards.
Today the smell is there but milder. what do you do to clean ur LO ears?! is this normal?

2- The other thing is dry skin. his skin is really dry on some parts (legs , tummy, elbows) i don't think eczema it's just a little rough, tried to change his products. but still, any ideas?

Have you looked behind his ears. My LO behind one ear tends to get a bit icky for some reason and it can get smelly quickly so I have to keep cleaning behind it.

I don't clean in his ears with anything tbh. Leave them well alone. I'm not poking earbuds in them when he is so small.

Re LO's skin. Sounds like mild baby eczema. I'd get some Diprobase or some such and massage it in a couple of times a day. If you can't get that there look for something similar.

I tend to not use any products on my LO and his skin has been great. Just plain water in the bath and thats it. He has had some baby eczema this past 2 weeks but we think its because he has cradle cap and we have to use a shampoo that then goes over his body as it rinses off.

The ear smell i had with Calleigh, after a bath i would pick her up and she would have smell from her ear area. I knew that she didnt have any infection as she had recently been to the docs and had her ears checked. This happened for a few nights and it then disappeared. I have never cleaned her ears with buds, just wiped behind and dried the ear.
If you are still comcerned tho hun get his ears checked at the docs.

Calleigh also started to get dry skin on her legs and bottom of her back and her bum, the doctor prescribed me aqueaous cream and it cleared it up in no time. You can also buy it from chemists/wilkinsons/boots and the like.

Thanks for the reply Sherlock.
I did look behind his ears. it's all clear. it's coming from inside his ears. I will keep observing.
about the skin condition. well i think my mistake is I use a baby wash for his body everyday. maybe that's what causes it. but everyday before bath. i apply johnsons baby oil to his whole body.
I guess i need to reduce the wash then!

Thanks Charlie for the advice.
I won't use anything before asking the Dr. I am not too brave to do that even though it's something mild to use.
I guess I might have to see a Dr, BTW I don't always use the buds. and they are the baby ones, where there is a round area so it doesn't go beyond.

Hi hun i don't know about the ears problem but Hayden had dry rough skin on his hands, feet legs and behind his ears, it was because he was overdue. you can get olive oil from boots and i found it really good it kept his skin lovely and soft and i used it to do baby massage after the bath which made him happy and sleepy :)

fran_23 said:
Hi hun i don't know about the ears problem but Hayden had dry rough skin on his hands, feet legs and behind his ears, it was because he was overdue. you can get olive oil from boots and i found it really good it kept his skin lovely and soft and i used it to do baby massage after the bath which made him happy and sleepy :)
Is it ok to use normal olive oil? this is something that came across my mind but didn't know if it was safe to use or not.!

I don't know actually :think: i dont see why not? but it might be too greasy and irritate the skin more! i'd get the one specially for skin just in case.

I was advised to use olive oil by my midwife when Calleigh started to get dry flakey skin at a few days old, just the normal olive oil from the supermarket.

charlie84 said:
I was advised to use olive oil by my midwife when Calleigh started to get dry flakey skin at a few days old, just the normal olive oil from the supermarket.

Same here :)

Emms has dry patches and I went to the GP this week about it and he gave us some Oilatum bath oil and some double base cream to rub in which has been good.

You could go to the GP about the ears as it might be an infection - has there been any discharge from them? :hug: :hug:

loz said:
Emms has dry patches and I went to the GP this week about it and he gave us some Oilatum bath oil and some double base cream to rub in which has been good.

You could go to the GP about the ears as it might be an infection - has there been any discharge from them? :hug: :hug:

Hi, Oilatum is wonderful for adults, so i guess it should be for babies!
any ways his skin is much better now as i have reduced the amount of baby wash i use. and i started to apply johnsons baby lotion twice instead of once a day especially on the dry parts.

about the ears. there is no discharge so far. I started to wipe them with a damp cotton in the morning and make sure they r dry after his bath in the evening. so far so good. smell has reduced. I will keep an eye just to make sure.

any way it's not long now for his 4 month jab! not sure about the UK but it is a routine over here and i've taken the decision to follow this routine as i'm staying for quite a while here. so i'll be seeing a Dr and discuss these issues .

So you are aware of what babies and toddlers have in the UK

http://www.bbc.co.uk/parenting/your_kid ... tion.shtml

Jabs here start at 8 weeks, a batch of 3 over a couple of months. 2nd set of these around 12 weeks and the next around 17/18 weeks iirc. Next one after that is when babies are around 13 months old.

At least you can compare what your son is having to what the UK offers babies vaccination wise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kayx94
Back