• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Feeding on demand

Happybunny

Reaction score
Hello!! :wave:

I was wondering if any of you could help me. I have been BF April and it has been going well - no sore nipples, uncomfortable breasts etc :cheer:

However, I am really uncertain about when to feed her as I have had some conflicting advice. The midwife told us to wake her every three hours and feed her. There were issues with that because sometimes she would snack feed on and off for about 2 hours and wouldn't be ready for another feed an hour later and it would thow everything off a little - I wouldn't know when would be the best time to start her next feed.

The health visitor said feed on demand, don't wake her at all. We have tried this, but sometimes April will sleep all night (7 hours yesterday) without waking. It made me feel terribly guilty, surely she must be hungry. Also, if she sleeps that long, will it not effect my milk production?

What have other people done? Is it best to do a combination or just go one way or the other? I am so confused!! :? :? :?

I would definitely advise you to feed on demand HB - if she is sleeping (even through the night), let her - this won't affect your milk supply as your body will readjust if she does start to waken up through the night or go through a growth spurt etc - enjoy the sleep!

Definitely definitely feed on demand - its the way to go.

Congratulations on the birth of baby April!

Valentine Xxx

ive been wondering similar about james but have generally been okay with feeding on demand. is there a point though where you would stop and try and aim for a more routine pattern or will baby just sort of find his own pattern? its all so confusing!

:x The midwife said what!!

What the bloody hell :wall:

Hun you need to feed on demand, it supply on demand! :D

Feed her when she wants feeding, and when shes sleeping be greatfull! :rotfl:

Your baby will find it own routine, by 2 months or more Olivia had her own pattern, but to be honest by the time you get one its lost because they then mess it up with another growth spurt!! :rotfl: so your constantly feeding again, you will know when your having one :lol:

Honestly baby will take as much as she wants when she wants it, no little or less than she needs, thats what you boobys caterr for, trust her and trust your body :hug:

thanks for your replies!! :hug:

She put on 4oz in the first 10 days, but that is when we were doing the three hourly thingy. We will stay with the demand thing now, I'll try not to feel guilty if she sleeps for ages (it is very hard after being conditioned into three hourly feeds), I'll get her weighed next week and see how things are going. She does seem to be producing lots of wet and dirty nappies, so that is a good sign isn't it?

I am going to go to Bosom Buddies next week - the sure start BF support group. Hopefully that should rest my worries too.

I really enjoy BF, but I never thought BF would be so worrying.

And Midna - thanks for the sweet words on my anouncement thread! I love that pic too, sorry it has made you broody though! :hug:

I've never had a problem feeding on demand, he sleeps anywhere from 7-9 hours a night and I figure if he was hungry he'd wake up and let me know! I wouldn't bother waking him up for feeds and he's steadily put on weight from day 1. Just relax and go with your instincts, your milk supply will be fine :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blehhj
Back