expressing - going out

Kimbo

Reaction score
i'm planning to breastfeed if i can hopefully :pray:
but i was just thinking, say you're going out for the day and you want to express into bottles before you go out, how long can breastmilk be in the bottle before it has to be used?

Think its 24hrs when stored in a fridge isn't it?

Yeah you can deffo freeze it. Don't know how long you can carry it round without it being chilled though, like if you are shopping. Maybe you could take some frozen and then by the time it has defrosted and got to room temp it would be ready. Dunno how long that would take either though, it might mean having a long time to wait?

Ahh I'll shut up, someone else will know better!!! :oops:

I never really expressed, but hated feeding in public, was so self concious. I got a poncho in the end and fed under that, was really easy to do and just kept it under the buggy so I always had it with me. Saved my blushes :oops:

I have a fairly small bag that will keep things chilled (or hot) that I will probably use for those circumstances. Haven't used it in a while so it will be good to get some use out of it again. The other good thing is that it also has a fold-away rucksack on top so you don't need 2 separate bags. Thank goodness I used to watch QVC years ago :lol:

I found this really useful...

http://www.breastfeedingnetwork.org.uk/ ... toring.pdf

Hope that helps.

I've taken expressed milk out with me, it was frozen and I put it into a coolbag that I got from boots in the same section as the breast pumps. It had a little icepack with it, so I froze that and put the frozen milk in the coolbag with the icepack. It's ok to keep out of the fridge once defrosted for 6 hours I think... but by the time I had gone out and come home (didn't need it in the end) it had only just defrosted and that was about 4 hours I had been out for. If you take ready made bottles out with you and don't have them cooled, they'll only last an hour. I've used them after the hour and nothing bad happened, but I think the general rule is an hour.

Would suggest taking frozen out with you in coolbag like I did, and a ready made carton of formula just in case you can't get to somewhere to defrost it quick enough. That's what I do :)

thanks everyone.

shell, that sites reallly useful thanks :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
candigrams
Back