Exclusive Breastfeeding?

DebbieM

Reaction score
What's classed as "exclusive" breastfeeding?

Is it the action of only giving your baby milk FROM the breast - ie, no bottles ever even of expressed breast milk

OR

Is it baby only having breast milk whether it is from the breast or expressed?

Just curious really. :)

I agree, its the type of milk not the method of feeding.

Yep, if your baby hasn't ever had formula. I've done 11 months on Sunday, I can't believe it!

Valentine Xxx

valentine said:
Yep, if your baby hasn't ever had formula. I've done 11 months on Sunday, I can't believe it!

Valentine Xxx

Wow, congratulations hun, what an achievement :cheer: :cheer:

Ive exclusively breastfed from Ellie being 2 weeks old as she was topped up at first as I was struggling to breastfeed :) :cheer:

Cool. I thought it was the milk rather than the method.

Yay, 3 1/2 months exclusive here then so far :D

Can you still say you're exclusively breastfeeding even when the baby is weening :think:

Only wondering :)

Moomum said:
Can you still say you're exclusively breastfeeding even when the baby is weening :think:

Only wondering :)

I do, but I don't know what is correct. I take it as she's not had formula or cows milk as a drink.

Valentine Xxx

it depends on the context, i.e. the World Health Organisation says baby should bre exclusively breastfed for the first 6months - that means just breastmilk and notjing else, no solids either. However if it is in the context of the milk they have had exclusive means just breastmilk no formula so that way Valentine has been exclsuively breastfeeding for 11months (fab achievement hun)

and yay 3 1/2 months Debbie :cheer:

yep I take it as having never had formula or cows milk

mind you Alex refuses expressed in any case, so aside from 2 attempts at trying him on expressed and him flat out turning his nose up, he's purely a boob man for drinking lol

(and he didn't have solids until after 6 months, and even now doesn't have a lot of solids - I wish he'd eat more!)

10 months and however many weeks it says in my ticker for me lol

DebbieM said:

Is it the action of only giving your baby milk FROM the breast - ie, no bottles ever even of expressed breast milk

OR

i exclusively breastfed all of mine. I didn't express, give formula or feed by any other means than from the breast. Thats exclusively breastfeeding. :)

Its ok but you have to be prepared to give up your social life and be totally selfless. I didn't go out until baby budge was around a year old and she didn't need my milk

budge said:
DebbieM said:

OR

i exclusively breastfed all of mine. I didn't express, give formula or feed by any other means than from the breast. Thats exclusively breastfeeding. :)

Its ok but you have to be prepared to give up your social life and be totally selfless. I didn't go out until baby budge was around a year old and she didn't need my milk

so no solids until over a year old?

budge said:

I disagree. I haven't given formula but I have fed her (breast) milk from a breastbottle and a bottle. I still think I have exclusively breastfed.

budge said:
i exclusively breastfed all of mine...

I'm sure I remember you saying that you gave your youngest formula and bottles at some point budge?

Valentine Xxx

valentine said:
budge said:

I disagree. I haven't given formula but I have fed her (breast) milk from a breastbottle and a bottle. I still think I have exclusively breastfed.

so do I. I went back to education when Willow was just over 5 months so had to express for her. However she did not have anything that wasn't breastmilk until she was 7 months old, and she has never ever had formula or cowsmilk. So in the 2 months that she was not on solids but still drinking breastmilk albeit from a bottle, what was that?

Oh well, doesn't look like I'm an exclusive breastfeeder then :( poo!

Hubby gave Ruby formula from a bottle just after christmas when I was really really ill.

Never mind - we're still doing great and will continue to do so for the forseeable future :dance:

Yeay for us breastfeeders :wink:

Exculsive breastfeeding is what it says :D

Exculsive!

so no food and no formula.

You should exculisvly bf for the first 6 months (though a lot, including myself didnt manage it) and then introduce solids, when you introduce solids or formula you are no longer exclusivly breastfeeding.

Wether the breastmilk is in a bottle or straight from the breast has no relevance.Its still just breastmilk.

I always thought the 'exclusive' bit meant breastmilk as opposed to formula or cows milk

Xena said:
budge said:
DebbieM said:

OR

so no solids until over a year old?

of course not :lol: Just i couldn't go out coz i was still BF until then.

i exclusively Bf for nearly 5 months with baby budge until she had her first taste of solids. Slightly earlier with the other 3. Baby budge was more settled with her BM for longer though for some reason.

Taken from here
http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache:ZE ... cd=5&gl=uk

Make clear the meaning of exclusive breastfeeding
Exclusive breastfeeding means giving only breastmilk. This means no water, liquids, teas, herbal preparations, or foods through the first six months of life. (It is important to name the drinks and foods commonly given in the first six months. One program found that women did not think the advice “do not give water” applied to herbal teas or other fluids.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back