Embarrassing Mum!!!!

chedz

Reaction score
I have an 8 year old son and last year he asked me not to kiss him in the playground when he was going into school. I understand that he feels all grown up and so I stopped it.

Lately he hasn't even stood with me in the playground and 2 weeks ago he asked me to drop him at the school gates and not go in with him. Now it's a very very small school (100 pupils inc nursery, infants and juniors) and my sister is always in the playground with her little one so as long as I see him go into the gates I don't have a problem with the safety aspect of things. I do have a problem with my little boy being independant and I sat and cried the first time he did it. :cry:

I asked him why he didn't like me going in with him and he said 'cos your my mum and it's embarrassing' :shock: I'm only 27 and he's always told me he's glad he's got a cool mum.... now overnight I'm embarrassing!!!

Anyway, I've been making excuses like 'I need to see somebody's mum' and going in with him (which he sulks about). Am I just being irrational because I don't like him growing up so fast and I should get a grip? or do I have a valid point, that he's only 8 and still a child?

H x x

I embarass Tia... I find it fun... but you do have to start letting them go at this age. When you have your next one, it will ease off because you will have them to be all clingy too.... but in turn you may find your eldest changes his tune because he wants mummy to spend more time with him....either way, he will start drifting off on his own now and as long as he is safe let him... btw I cried the first time Tia did it :)

I think its a natural part of boys growing up. I remember growing up and whereas me and my sister never minded about being seen with my mum, my brother hated being associated with her or us for that matter. It doesn't help you right now but they do grow out of it.

I think you have to just humour him as far as is safe - if you are worried about leaving him then compromise, tell him you have to go in but you'll understand if he wants to go and stand with his friends or something similar.

Im going through this with my boy over the past few weeks too, I feel exactly the same these are our babies!

There seem to be alot of kids in his year that have started to be dropped off at the gates so I think its an age thing rather than anything we are actually doing to make them want to break free.

MY DS made me swear that I wouldnt go to sports day last week either!

They are growing up and its good they feel comfortable enough to tell us we embarrass them!

Yup, I embarrass my son regularly :lol: and my 16 year old daughter even more! In fact, I think she would be happy to disown me most of the time! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
Dont worry hun, it will pass, he loves you to bits but is just asserting his independence...i'm afraid it is part of his growing up. :hug: :hug:

Lisa

I'm starting to embarrass my son aswell, hes 6 and everytime he gives me a kiss since he was 2years old we have had kiss, snog, love.....lol.
Which is a kiss, rub of noses and a cuddle.

BUT since being in year 1 i'm lucky to grab a quick pek and a bye, and he always looks round before i get my kiss. It is upsetting knowing that they are growing up and caring what peers think of them and us mums, but as long as i get to give him cuddles and kisses when hes away from friends i don't mind.

I work at George's school and regularly embarrass him :lol:

I think he is enjoying me being on maternity leave and is getting a break form it!
He hates it when we are out shopping and students see me and say 'Hi Miss'.

At home he is very tactile and is always giving me a hug and a kiss but he would never do it out of the house.

He likes to be 'cool' in front of friends and act like I don't exist :lol:

I'm sure it'll pass boys always need their Mummy.

So basically I should get a grip and stop being irrational :lol:

I know he's growing up fast.... I just never thought it would be this hard to watch :( My hubby says I should let off the reins a bit.

It's nice to know I'm not the only person who's baby would rather be swallowed up than be seen with his mummy :roll: (that's another thing he's stopped... I'm now Mum, not Mummy :)

H x x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back