Early scan fears

miffy

Reaction score
Hi there, I'm new to the forum, this is my first post, so hello everyone!

Found out 2 weeks ago that I'm expecting no.2! We are thrilled as luckily it happened quite quickly for us. However, being the impatient person that I am, I'm now kicking myself for going for an early scan. We live abroad and when you see the obs/gynie doctor to notify them of the pregnancy, you automatically get offered an early scan. So I thought why not! However, according to my dates, I am 6 weeks pregnant. However the scan showed a healthy sac, but only the size of a 4 week old. I can't see how this could be as I am certain of my dates. The doctor suggested I may have ovulated late, but I don't see how that would make 2 weeks difference? She didn't seem concerned and said not to worry and to come back in 2 weeks to determine if the pregnancy is viable, hopefully there should be a heartbeat by then. Obviously I'm gutted now and can't stop thinking that it's stopped growing already.

Just wanted to know if anyone has had the same experience or can shed any light on this?

I would also recommend not to have an early scan unless you have any real concerns! Too much information can backfire on you!

This is exactly what has happened to me!

Went for an early scan when I thought I was 7 weeks pregnant because I'd had a lot of lower abdominal pains (which have now completely gone away). All the scan showed was an empty pregnancy scan which might mean it's non-viable but might just mean my dates are wrong and I was only actually 5 weeks pregnant not 7. Advised to come back 2 weeks later...

My repeat scan was actually due a week ago. However, I chose to postpone it until later this week becuase I have a really important exam in 3 days time and thought if the news was bad I'd be too upset to function properly. The wait has been killing me.

To make matters worse, I had a miscarriage just before Xmas which has made me very negative about everything. Still, only time will tell...

Really good luck with your repeat scan. And I completely agree with you... I wouldn't advise an early pregnancy scan unless you really really need it. Too much uncertainty!

Hi Eve

Sorry to hear that you're in the same situation - the waiting is horrendous! Also sorry to hear of your miscarriage, it must make things doubly worrying for you. Let's hope that this dates thing is actually more common than we realised and it's just that not many women have these early scans so we don't get to hear about it. Hope your next scan goes well with positive results. Good luck with the exam too, I suppose it's giving you something to focus on at least!

Let us know how you get on - you've got a busy week! - fingers crossed for everything!

Thanks Miffy. Scan is on Wed - will let you know how it goes...

When this happened to me, I did a google search and came across quite a few stories of exactly this happening and the repeat scans were OK. One woman turned up for her 12 week scan to be told she was only 8 weeks so I guess the timing of ovulation isn't always as straightforward as we think!

Good luck with your scan x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back