Early scan

boo

Reaction score
I just had an early scan to establish how far along I am. I was pretty sure I was about ten weeks (though not 100% about LMP). The internal scan was over in about four seconds.....honestly. No measurements, nothing. The doctor said I MUST have had a period more recently than I thought and that it was too early to do any measurements to check dates. I have to go back in two weeks.

I asked the doctor how many weeks he THOUGHT I was and he said six and whether everything was OK and he said yes.

BUT...I have a history of early miscarriages (around six weeks) and each time, it's only been discovered at the six/seven week scan, with bleeding about a week afterwards.

I didn't actually see the scan and can't make out much from the picture, so I don't know whether the doctor actually saw something to tell him all was OK (a heartbeat? Too early?) or whether he was just going on the size of the sac/embryo for six weeks. If the embryo had stopped growing at six weeks and I WAS correct with my dates (should have been coming up to ten weeks) would this be obvious on a scan? His report says a pregnancy "structure" is visible. What should be visible at six weeks?

Wish I'd asked more questions now. Sometimes, they rush you in and out so quickly you haven't got time to take in what's happened.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Boo

Boo that is terrible. I had an early scan after some spotting with first pregnancy. I thought I was about 8 weeks but scan said 4 weeks and they suspected if my dates were correct that it had stopped growing. Sure enough a week later I m/c. Can you ring them or anything to ask more questions?

Hi

I think they would have said if there was no heart beat. Could you call the hospital - surely they keep notes of all scans?

Louise

Hi Boo,

Sorry for what you are feeling right now, I know that feeling all to well!!! When I got pregnant I was convinced that I had been about 9wks give or take a day. I called my midwife because of a previous ectopic I had I needed to rule that out w/ this one. I was given an ultrasound immediately and the tech told me that there was the "beginning" of the gestational sac but no yolk sac or embryo and she couldn't give me an estimate on how far along I was because it was to small to measure! I was able to get the size of the gestational sac. So I was told to come back in about 10 days to have another one and to make sure to get blood work done because the blood work would be able to confirm how far I was. She had asked me if there was anyway possible that I could have conceived in July and after thinking there was only 1 time dh and I had you know! (he was on business) So I was thinking nope there is no way I could have gotten preggo in July if there was only one time. So I came home and did some research on what the size of the gestational sac should be and I posted numerous messages on this wonderful forum to the point everybody probably wanted me to stop! lol But I was a reck until I went back to midwife for my first "offical" OB exam and my midwife did not want to consider me an OB patient until I an another ultrasound and bloodwork because the measurements were not adding up! So she sent me that day for another ultrasound and after doing and external one they said they had to an internal one (they still couldnt see anything clearly) I thought for sure I had m/c. So we do an internal and long and behold there my little peanut was with the little peanut heartbeat!! and everything was fine I measured in at 7wks 1d and sure enough me and dh conceived but only that 1 time in July!!!! We couldn't believe it!! So please try not to worry to much until you go back for another ultrasound, you don't want to add any unwanted stress! I know it's hard but you have to try and remember that until someone says to you, "you have m/c" then you are still "pregnant"! You may want to call dr. and see if you can get some blood work to check how many weeks you are. If there is anything I can do you can pm anytime! Take care of you and that peanut!!

Keep us posted!! :D

xoxo Ree

hi boo awww hun you must be awful worried i would try phoning your gp and tell him how upset and worried you are and get him to chase it all up and see if he can find anything out for you
good luck hun will be thinking of you xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello all

Thanks for all your advice and kinds words. Half my problem is that I live in Spain and I'm struggling to make sense of the written scan report (would actually have trouble if it was in English because the doctor has got typical doctor handwriting...but it's even harder to decipher in Spanish). So I've decided to take your advice and go to see my GP. The report details what the doctor saw on the scan, so at the very least, my GP can read the secret doctor code and give me a few more facts.

I've had blood taken twice now but the first time they did a very detailed blood analysis and somehow forgot to do a pregnancy test and hormone levels (HCG)!!! Maybe the blood test they did today will give me an idea of HCG levels. But won't get those results for another week. It's all a bit slow for an anxious pregnant lady!

I will keep you all posted.

Thanks again,

Boo

Hello all

Thought I'd give you a quick update. I went to see my own doctor yesterday to get my blood test results (by the way, they still hadn't done HcG levels! The box with HcG on it just said 'YES'). While I was there I also got the doctor to read the terrible handwriting of his colleague and he told me that the scan report said that the doctor had actually seen a hearbeat. So, I'm a little more hopeful now that I was just wrong with my dates. Only another six days to wait for the follow-up scan.

Wouldn't it all have been so much easier if the original doctor had told me that in the first place (or at least written it legibly in his report)?! :x and then I wouldn't have spent a week worried sick. Oh well. Thanks again to all of you for your support when I was feeling really scared.

Boo x

Aw sorry they are messing you around so much boo.

Let us know how your next scan goes! Let's hope they give you clearer information this time. I was exactly 12weeks when they did my first scan and the baby was 5cms. It's so amazing to see - so enjoy it!! :)

boo im so glad all is well for you at the moment the last few weeks must have been a really scary time for you :(
good luck with the next scan i hope they give you a bit more information this time xxxxx

I had a dating scan at 6+4 and i was right to the very day. There was a visible yolk sac and heatbeat and the scanner put on the report 'viable pregnancy found' so they definatly know how old the baby is by then. I was told that my baby measured 9mm at that scan, your baby is fine dont worry. I asked and they HAVE to tell you if theres no heatbeat or its not viable, also if they were in doubt they would have called in a 2nd doctor for a 2nd look.

Just think your baby is 9mm approx, so cute and the size of a big pea, cute!!!!!! Within 3 weeks mine was a jelly bean, makes me laugh as i keep comparing my baby to household things size wise at the mo he/ she is a 12.5cm and compared to a teaspoon! :oops: Sorry perhaps i am mad!

Congrats and good luck!

Glad to hear things went well even tho you were worried in the beginning atleast you know now that everything is going smoothly!!!!

xoxo Ree

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back