• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Do babys only breath through their nose?

nickilubs

Reaction score
Last night had a bit of a panic. Ivy was sleeping next to us and she started coughing and spluttering :( (shes got the cold I had) I woke up and it was like she was struggling to breath. Basically her nose is all blocked up so shes quite rattly and I didn't really know if she would instinctively know that she can breath through her mouth. I would give her calpol but then that also worries me that she would be in a deeper sleep which would make it harder for her to wake again if she needed too. I'm really scared that she wont be able to breath. I sat awake with her when I woke last night I couldn't sleep I just led and cuddled her, I don't know if It would work but I hoped that the heat from me would ease her chest.

Yes, until around 5 months or so they breathe via their nose. Breathing via the mouth happens later and is something they learn. Usually they only will breathe via their mouth when awake to begin with. Its very noticeable when they start doing this. Galen also upped a volume level when he began breathing through his mouth. It was funny to hear him being able to make all these new longer noises because he could breathe with his mouth.

Try a nasal aspirator to help get any snot out of her nose. Also raise her head higher than her feet when sleeping (so tilt the basket on some books or something) so she can breathe easier. You can also use Karvol capsules now (on a tissue or some such near her head) to help ease her nose congestion.

Raise her bed a little at one end. Not sure if she's in a cot or moses basket but when Angel was tiny i rolled up a towel and put it under her basket mattress. Now she's in a cot when she has a cold i put my maternity cushion under one end of the mattress. It helps them settle a bit more.
If you know from your own colds if you lay flat you struggle more. So being tilted helps clear the nose a little more.

Angel's had 4-5 colds in her lifetime so i've had plenty of practice. And like you i don't like giving calpol so i give her it when she has a high temp.

Sherlock said:
Try a nasal aspirator to help get any snot out of her nose. .

I have one of these I'm a little wary of putting it up her nose, if I wait till shes asleep then try it would that work better. I don't want to push it up too far dont wanna be prodding her brain lol! Would a dummy help her to breath or just make it harder? She co-sleeps at the moment but I can make sure shes in the basket tonight she sleeping loads today bless her so shes not fussy where she is as long as its sleeping.

nickilubs said:
Sherlock said:
Try a nasal aspirator to help get any snot out of her nose. .

I have one of these I'm a little wary of putting it up her nose, if I wait till shes asleep then try it would that work better. I don't want to push it up too far dont wanna be prodding her brain lol! Would a dummy help her to breath or just make it harder? She co-sleeps at the moment but I can make sure shes in the basket tonight she sleeping loads today bless her so shes not fussy where she is as long as its sleeping.

I can't get Angel out of my bed when she's ill! Lol
I put a pillow long ways up mine and lay her on that when she's poorly. But then she's a bit older than Ivy.

Connie breathed through her mouth as she was bunged up with snot until she was 10 weeks, she snored very loudly :lol: . We had terrible trouble with feeding as she couldn't breathe through her nose. I found burning olbas oil in a different room really helped, I put it a different room as it can be a bit over powering. I also put her in her own room from 4 weeks as it was getting stuffy with all of us one room, this tbh broke my heart as I wasn't near her and I spent most of the night watching the video baby monitor but she slpet much better in there :( & :D . Fresh air is good.

The snot sucker was a life saver also :puke: , I still have to use it quite regularly as she's inherited my sinuses :D . Her nickname in our house is snotbag.

Hazel said:
Connie breathed through her mouth as she was bunged up with snot until she was 10 weeks, she snored very loudly :lol: . We had terrible trouble with feeding as she couldn't breathe through her nose. I found burning olbas oil in a different room really helped, I put it a different room as it can be a bit over powering. I also put her in her own room from 4 weeks as it was getting stuffy with all of us one room, this tbh broke my heart as I wasn't near her and I spent most of the night watching the video baby monitor but she slpet much better in there :( & :D . Fresh air is good.

The snot sucker was a life saver also :puke: , I still have to use it quite regularly as she's inherited my sinuses :D . Her nickname in our house is snotbag.

Awwww hehe how far do you put the thing up her nose? I only rest it up a tiny bit and its not sucking nought out! lol

I just put it up a the entrance about a milimetre, have to get the angle right though and give it a good hard suck :puke: . It will usually dislodge the offending bogie enough to help her breathe. She was so snotty she kept getting nosebleeds (this was before we got the nose sucker so nothing to do with that) and the bogies were HUGE!

Some aspirators are better than others, I've found. The one we have now is great but try getting it up his nose. It's like serious child abuse, that and Nasosal drops :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: BUT, they work!!!!

I also use baby olbas oil/Karvol and Snufflebabe too. They are great. He wears a fleecy sleepsuit to bed and the room is quite cold. It helps his settle better and helps with keeping him clear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clark Gracen
Back