Disolvable Stitches FAQ.

kadesmummy

Reaction score
I had a gander last night, and my stitches are still there and visable.

1. How long does it take for them to disolve?
2. Can you do anything to make them disolve quicker? or do they disolve when the body has healed?

I'm kind of freaking out that they won't disolve, and i know it's only been 2 weeks and of course they'll dissolve, but still.. wish i hadn't looked :( lol x

I'm not sure how long exactly mine took to dissolve but I know they were gone and healed up by roughly 3 weeks! I know you are just meant to keep them clean. I don't know if it helps dissolving the stitches any quicker but I was recommended to use tea tree oil on my pads which reduces the risk of infection as it is a natural antiseptic. I also poured luke warm water on my cut every time I went for a pee which seems to help!

don't worry they should heal up shortly! if you feel really worried I would maybe call your middy or HV?

I was told that mine were disolvable but they wern't! Someone got that info wrong :shock: Had to have them removed manually by the midwife :roll:

I was told mine were dissolvable but they actually worked their way out instead. When Jessica was signed off by the midwife at 10 days I was a bit concerned as I had a length of thread dangling and the rest of it was still sewn into me! :shock: Apparently, this is quite normal too according to that midwife and they worked their way out fully a couple of days later and I found a long manky bit of thread on the toilet paper after having a wee! :puke:

I think most of mine dissloved, but I also found a couple of bits on the toilet roll! :puke: Most of mine went in a couple of weeks, but the knot at the end took longer - it was really big though.

I was too frightened to look at mine. I had a glance a day afteer i gave birth and wish i hadn't. I couldn't bare to check for about another 4 weeks :roll: In the meantime though i noticed bits of them on loo role and when i finally had the courage to check they had all gone.

I used to bathe in salt water. My mum and nan told me i would heal quicker and i felt like i healed quite quick. Although the midwife said it was prob nothing to do with salt water :think:

i pulled two of mine out, lol :oops:
i didn't mean too, i was rubbing it dry after a shower and a bit of it unravelled and came out about an inch so i just pulled it - happened twice!

they're all gone now for sure, but couldn't tell you when they did go.

EDIT: whoops! i was answering this about c-section stitches (not that i guess there's much difference?) :think:

mine disappeared within a week, but i did only have two.

Most of mine fell out I think as there were blue bits of string on the toilet paper. I think it was somewhere around the 2 week mark.

jennifer1981 said:
I was too frightened to look at mine. I had a glance a day afteer i gave birth and wish i hadn't. I couldn't bare to check for about another 4 weeks :roll: In the meantime though i noticed bits of them on loo role and when i finally had the courage to check they had all gone.

I used to bathe in salt water. My mum and nan told me i would heal quicker and i felt like i healed quite quick. Although the midwife said it was prob nothing to do with salt water :think:

I was told by my OH's mother to bathe in salt water too, i seemed to heal quite quickly too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Currish
Back