Did anyone else have heart problems?

Tasha20

Reaction score
:wave:

During my pregnancy I sufferd with daily heart palpitations and a constant fast heart beat for a number of days, thought nothing of it really just put it down to the pregnancy.

Over the past few weeks its come back, having bad palpitations again and i am conciously aware of my heart beat all the time and even if I get up off the bed or go up the stairs my heart goes mad.

There are thyriod (underactive) problems in the family but I think I have overactive and I have read its quite common in pregnancy and after pregnancy.

I am very worried about it and will be going docs tomorrow, anyone else had this?

:D

Yeah I have. I have had loads of tests done but they were all fine. They were a lot worse in pregnancy and used to really scare me. I still get them now. I might not get them for a few days then it will happen about 20 times in one day. It feels like my heart sort of skips a beat and beats really hard. They did say I had a heart mumur when I was having Aimee but when I went for more tests they didn't hear it again.

Few not the only one then, it is very scary I do hope its not a thyroid thing as the tablets they give you are not suitable when nursing and would have to stop :(

I had something similar last year, chest pains and really severe palpatations. I passed out a few times too, and felt so unwell and drained. I had all kinds of tests and I have what they called an etopic heartbeat-it beats out of rythum occasionly...they say it was caused by a viral infection. I was terrified and had constant panic attacks as I was so convinced my heart would suddenly stop :cry: I was signed of work for 7 weeks, and put on anti depressants in the end as I felt so unwell. It was dreadful.

Get the odd palpatation now and again-I found cutting down on coffee and Diet Coke really helped me too.

Hope they sort you out chick-stress makes it worse by worrying about it but its so hard not to-its a vicious circle as the more you worry, the worse it gets :cry: :hug:

Hiya, I work in a cardiology department and what you describe sounds like something a lot of people suffer with. Its a bit of a vicious circle with the palpitations as you start looking out for them. Basically a palpitation is an abnormal awareness of your heart beating, ie; you raelly notice it going too slow/too fast/irregularly. The ectopic beats are actually extra ones that dont get conducted properly so the next heartbeat that comes through really thuds as you have a backup of blood in your heart. This makes it feel like you have missed a beat when, in reality, you had an extra one that didnt follow through properly Again, we all get these every day, its just that mostly we dont notice. The bad thing about your heart is that the stress chemicals we produce can in turn make our symptoms worse so like I said, its a vicious circle! Hopefully a few tests should put your mind at rest, it could be that there is something underlying but hopefully you will have nothing to worry about. I see loads of people with similar symptoms and they are in really good health. Take care :hug:

Jen79 said:
Hiya, I work in a cardiology department and what you describe sounds like something a lot of people suffer with. Its a bit of a vicious circle with the palpitations as you start looking out for them. Basically a palpitation is an abnormal awareness of your heart beating, ie; you raelly notice it going too slow/too fast/irregularly. The ectopic beats are actually extra ones that dont get conducted properly so the next heartbeat that comes through really thuds as you have a backup of blood in your heart. This makes it feel like you have missed a beat when, in reality, you had an extra one that didnt follow through properly Again, we all get these every day, its just that mostly we dont notice. The bad thing about your heart is that the stress chemicals we produce can in turn make our symptoms worse so like I said, its a vicious circle! Hopefully a few tests should put your mind at rest, it could be that there is something underlying but hopefully you will have nothing to worry about. I see loads of people with similar symptoms and they are in really good health. Take care :hug:

Awww thank you so much :hug: I feel so much happier, I hope they come back good too.

Thank you!!!

Question: does it useually go after awhile tho? ive had it for ages, thru pregnancy and now

It can do, people can get it on and off. If palpitations are frequent and are causing you anxiety they may prescribe you a beta blocker which slows your heart down a bit. I think that there are some which you can take while bfing. The ectopic (missed) beats can be made worse by drinking too much caffeine so it might be wise to try cutting it out and see if it makes any difference? I would look on google and put in 'palpitations' and then 'ventricular ectopics' to get a bit more info. Wikipedia is a really good site I think for info on anything and everything. Being a new mum is stressful too, which can be a trigger so I think that with a couple of tests and a bit of reassurance things may resolve on there own, that said dont worry too much if you need treatment cos it is a really common thing. Sorry I couldnt give a more definate answer! :hug:

Aww thank you for your reply :hug:

I have been to see the doc and he has said more or less the same as you tho he thinks im anemic, so I am going to have bloods done on weds and then if it isnt that he said they may do a trace on my heart but he said dont worry about it as its proberly something simple to sort :D

Oh I would love some beta blockers lol heard they make you feel really chilled out :lol:

Zoe I am sorry you went thru that it is very scary :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back