dairy allergy

kirlykird

Reaction score
Took my DS to the doc yesterday as he's been having bad stomachs... well the doc thinks he may have a dairy allergy and we have to keep him off dairy products for 2 weeks to monitor him.

Has anyone else experienced this and have any idea of substitutes we can use to butter or milk etc?

You can try soya, rice, oat milk; Pure margarine (doesn't have any added cow's milk lactose); Cheezley cheese is made from soya, but there are other brands of soya cheese on the market. You can also get rice milk slices that melt well instead of cheese slices. We get soya milk, Pure marg and cheezley from our local Waitrose, or you can get it all from any health food store, or you can order online from places like http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk, http://www.dietaryneedsdirect.co.uk/. Both have a range of dairy free sweeties too! Plain chocolate should be fine, but check it doesn't have butter solids in.

Also, has the dr said you just be avoiding cows milk, or did s/he include sheep and goats milk as well? Goats milk has lower levels of lactose in, and I think, but I could be wrong that sheep's milk has a different structure to it's lactose, so sometimes it can be tolerated by people with allergies to cows milk. It depends on whether it's to milk sugar from cows, or milk sugar's in general. Obviously you don't get lactose in plant based milks.

My mum's lactose intolerent & can't have normal milk or cheese. I know she can have GOATS milk/cheese etc, and drinks Soy Milk. Just a note - watch out for things like chocolate too, as it quite often contains milk.

Hope everything works out, even if he is allergic there are a lot of dairy-free options available now.

My son had the same thing and we took him off dairy too.

I get the Alpro Soya milk for him as it tastes the nicest out of all the soya milks we've tried. Have also got a butter/spread called Pure I think and Alpro do strawberry/Vanilla/Chocolate/caramel deserts that are a bit like yoghurts that you can get in larger supermarkets and healthfood shops. They are long life ones and last ages and they do normal soya yoghurts in the chiller cabinets.

I'm no doctor but i'd guess its more likely to be an intolerance than an allergy. My Sam had had a couple of courses of antibiotics and this caused his intolerance so we had to take him of dairy for a month and gradually try to reintroduce it. A year later and he can have some dairy although we try to keep his main milk supply for cereals etc as the soya one otherwise he gets an upset tummy.

If you have a good look around you can generally gets lots of stuff from larger supermarkets and healthfood shops now.

HTH

Tan x

Thank ladies, your help is very gretafully appreciated :D

Does anyone know if you can get dairy free ice cream?

This probably sounds a really silly question :oops: but this is th thing that upsets him the most

Yup, there's loads of it :) The easiest to find brand is called Swedish Glace and it's lovely! I can get it in Waitrose, but I'm sure it will be in other supermarkets. Sorbets might be ok - oooo and you can get soya cream, and probably some dark chocolate sprinkles to go with as well :D

gingerpig said:
Yup, there's loads of it :) The easiest to find brand is called Swedish Glace and it's lovely! I can get it in Waitrose, but I'm sure it will be in other supermarkets. Sorbets might be ok - oooo and you can get soya cream, and probably some dark chocolate sprinkles to go with as well :D

:rotfl: Oh would love him having to have Swedsh glace, always says Swedish is best :roll:

Thanks so much for your help.

Think this may cheer up my little man when he gets home from school later :hug: :cheer: :D

Awwwwwwwwwww bless! I forgot to say there is a brand called Tofutti (that also do yummy cream cheese) that do cornetto's, choc ices and things like that. Health food shops will be stuffed with them :D

:roll: at Swedish goodness :rotfl:

Oooooooooooooooo I just saw you're based in Oxford - you have the best Holland and Barret there to buy all this stuff from! We got choc ices, and I'm certain there cornetto's and ooooooooooooooooo yum yum yum caramel swedish glace too there! It also comes in strawberry, raspberry, chocolate, mocha and vanilla flavours. It's the Holland and Barret thats near the covered market, you come out as if you were heading towards those shopping centres in the middle of town, past the handbag shop, and the leather shop. Lucky you, it's the best H&B I've seen - not like I'm obsessed or anything........ :oops:

gingerpig said:
Oooooooooooooooo I just saw you're based in Oxford - you have the best Holland and Barret there to buy all this stuff from! We got choc ices, and I'm certain there cornetto's and ooooooooooooooooo yum yum yum caramel swedish glace too there! It also comes in strawberry, raspberry, chocolate, mocha and vanilla flavours. It's the Holland and Barret thats near the covered market, you come out as if you were heading towards those shopping centres in the middle of town, past the handbag shop, and the leather shop. Lucky you, it's the best H&B I've seen - not like I'm obsessed or anything........ :oops:

I've never noticed it before but will def be keeping my eyes open for it now

I go down to the covered marjet weekly for my fresh fruit and veg etc so will have a look.

My pleasure - send me some choc ices if you find them :wink: Hmmmmmm going to have to persuade OH to make a trip to Oxford like now!!!!!

Such a great market, and they have that shop in it with all the over priced baby clothes. I can only afford to stroke them in the shop lololololol. The veg is wonderful though!

my df is lactose intollerant and has soya yoghurts and milk mostly alpro soya ones

i was lactose intolerant and cut dairy out for a while and then reintroduced and the stomach pains I was experiencing disappeared so maybe you could do it that way.

I just stuck to soya milk and things like that, I bet you could get a loads of yummy things on the net and I think goats milk and cheese is allowed, of course I could be speaking out my arse, I tend to do that!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itsa1231
Back