Cot Questions

moss

Reaction score
I am having a hard time deciding which kind of cot to get. I could get the cotbed I have my eye on, or I could spend less on a cot that doesn't turn into a bed. Is there really a point in a junior bed? I already have two single beds (a guest bed with another one stored under it) that I plan to let baby use when (s)he gets big enough. The other option (if I can find one I like because I am too picky) is getting one of the bedside cots. I love the idea of being able to reach out and touch the baby whenever I want. Does anyone have any opinions about any of this?

I had C is a moses basket next to the bed for the first 4 months or so, and then she went into her cot in the nursery. She will go straight into a single bed when she is 2 or so - so I won't get a junior bed. A friend of mine has a bedside cot and loves it, but her LO was in with her until he was about 2, so she got her money's worth. I would only get one if you intend to have LO in your room for a long time. They will last longer than a moses basket which most babies seem to grow out of in 3-4 months. the basket on the stand as aboun the same height as the bed so I could touch her in the night.

I wouldn't be happy putting Austin into a normal single bed - they're too high off the floor & too big for a toddler (IMO). I've only got a cot at the moment and am trying to decide at the mo whether to get a cotbed or a junior bed for Austin to go into when the new baby needs the cot.

My son was in a moses basket for 5 weeks, then into a cot. He lasted really well in a cot, sleeping in sleeping bags which prevented him from trying to climb out. We transfered him into a bed at about 2yrs 7months. We live abroad in rented accommodation and were provided with a normal single bed. If I'd had the choice, I wouldn't have put him in this sort of bed, but to be honest it's been absolutely fine. For the first 6 weeks or so, we laid loads of cushions on the floor around the bed, and every night I expected to hear the thud of him falling out! But he hasn't fallen out once and loves being in a grown up bed. The bed is up against the wall on one side which helps. Junior beds don't last long, kids grow so quickly!

As maybebaby said I wouldn't be happy with a normal single bed, too high off the floor and just not right for LO.

My DS slept in a moses basket for a month if we were lucky (he hated it) then into a cot bed. Certinally a good choice as now he's 9 months he's got more room to move/play in there when he wakes up type thing. Plus when it's time for a bed instead of a cot the sides come off and the head/foot boards become half the height, he's then just inches from the floor and it won't be such a change for him. Mind you I say that because his next/proper bed will be a double.

I'd certinally say go for a cotbed. There a good investment really since they can last LO up till 6 or so (depending on their height, I'm willing to bet my DS will manage till around 4 if were lucky!!)

we bought a cot bed for Harrison (he's just gone in it) - last up until he's 5 and like the others have said the standard single beds are just too high up off the floor

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mara14
Back