• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

cooking sauces

Gem & Leland

Reaction score
you know the jars of cooking sauce like sweet and sour , or spag bol etc , can lil one have this if its what we had for dinner ? we had sweet and sour pork the other night and leland wanted to try the rice which was covered in sauce , i did let him try it and he loved it but wondering if next time we ahve it can he have it properly for tea too ?

Your biggest baddie in premade sauces is salt, so I'd always check the content for that. Saying that, Stanley does have cooking sauces with us now, just not too much.

like Minxy said, they do have a lot of salt. Its a lot easier and cheaper to make your own and then he can eat what you are :)

Yeh as Minxy said just watch out for Salt & Sugar as the jars tend have alot in but with a balanced diet now and again its fine, we sometimes use the spag bol one as a quick easy tea and Ellie has that with us :) in moderation i think most things are ok for them to have but its obv better if you make it yourself x

i wouldnt know where to start on homemade sauces , i even came unstick last week cos my cheese sauce granuals had run out and i didnt know how to make cheese sauce :oops:

i just asked my hv , who said that as part of a varied diet its fine cos the amount he'd eat isnt much , she even joked and said if i was ahving fish and chips from chippy he could have that ! thats after she saw my stack of hipp organic jars :oops:

bolognese sauce - to browned mince and onions add a tin of chopped tomatoes and some tomato puree with some dried herbs (basil, oregano etc). I would normally add a stock cube in some boiling water but have stopped that now Cally has it.

Cheese sauce - I melt a chunk of butter and stir in plain flour to make a paste, then add milk a bit at a time continously stirring it till it is at the desired consitency. Then add grated cheese.

These are some from my HV in a booklet i was given with meals for all the family in, ive not used this one but sounds ok and you can adapt it to your own taste:

SPAG BOL
450g/1lb of minced beef
1 green pepper
1 onion
100g/4oz mushrooms
400g large tin of tomatoes
Tomato puree
1 teaspoon of mixed herbs
225g/8oz spaghetti/pasta

1/ Dry fry mince until brown. Cut up the onion into small pieces.
2/ Wash & slice mushrooms and pepper.
3/ Add tinned tomatoes, puree, mixed herbs. Simmer for 1/2 hr stirring occasionaly.
4/ In another pan, cook spaghetti/pasta in water. Drain & rinse.
5/ Put spaghetti/pasta on place and cover with bol sauce.

Gem & Leland said:
i wouldnt know where to start on homemade sauces , i even came unstick last week cos my cheese sauce granuals had run out and i didnt know how to make cheese sauce :oops:

i just asked my hv , who said that as part of a varied diet its fine cos the amount he'd eat isnt much , she even joked and said if i was ahving fish and chips from chippy he could have that ! thats after she saw my stack of hipp organic jars :oops:

RIGHT!!!!!! THAT'S IT!!!!!!!

I'm coming to make your cheese sauce for you like I said!!!!!!!!! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Im not too hot a cook either and if im honest i dont seem to find the time to make sauces and they never work out too well :doh: when your at your supermarket next look in the baby section at the heinz stuff. they do packets of different sauces which u just heat in the microwave, all specially made for babies. ive got a massive stock of the cheese sauces and baby gravy! ive seen them in every supermarket so you should be fine! :hug: they're usually next to the baby pastas and baby rice packets!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Salata Sara
Back