cooking help

valleygirl24

Reaction score
Last night we were watching come dine with me and they made chocolate pots for dessert. They looked absolutely stunning and as Im entertaining guests all weekend I was going to have a go at making them.
Problem being - raw egg yolk. From what I can gather I think they are pretty much like souffle's.
Without the eggs the recipe looks like one I use to make chocolate fondue which when set goes like nutella spread

Here is the recipe, do you think it would work without the eggs?

Chocolate and orange liqueur pots recipe
Serves 4
Ingredients
• 600ml double cream
• 2 medium free-range egg yolks
• 2 tbsp orange liqueur, such as Cointreau, plus a splash
• 200g dark chocolate, broken into squares
• 200g milk chocolate, broken into squares
• 200g white chocolate, broken into squares
• 1 large orange
• Approx 1 tbsp butter
• 1 tbsp caster sugar
• 8 amaretti biscuits
Method: How to make chocolate and orange liqueur pots
1.Heat half the cream in a small saucepan for 1- 2 minutes. Stir the plain and milk chocolate into the cream until melted and smooth.
2. Peel the orange into thin strips and set aside. Squeeze the juice from half the orange. Stir the orange juice into the chocolate mixture. Reserve the zest. Take the chocolate sauce off the heat and let it cool for 30 minutes.
3. Separate the egg yolks and place in a small mixing bowl. Beat with the orange liqueur. Once the chocolate mixture is cool, stir in the egg yolks and orange liqueur.
4. Very finely slice the orange zest and stir half of it into the chocolate mixture; reserve the rest. Melt the butter in the microwave for a few seconds and stir into the mixture. Pour into four individual teacups and leave to set in the fridge.
5. While the pots are setting, heat the remainder of the cream in a small pan over a low heat and stir in the white chocolate. Keep stirring until smooth. Pour into a bowl and leave to cool but do not allow to set completely.
6. Once the pots have started to set, dollop a spoonful of white chocolate cream onto the top of each pot and place back in the fridge. Leave to set for about 2 hours.
7. For the decoration, toss the reserved orange zest, 1 tbsp caster sugar and a splash of orange liqueur together over a high heat until caramelised, stirring constantly.
8. Take the chocolate pots out of the fridge and garnish with the caramelised orange peel. Serve each pot with 2 amaretti biscuits.
Please note this recipe is the contestant's own and has not been tested professionally. Like the Come Dine With Me contestants, you could be creating a culinary delight or dining disaster, so switch on your ovens and be bold

I'm not sure I'm much help to you as I don't tend to meddle with a recipe, I tend to follow it to the letter... I'm guessing that the eggs are quite an important part of the recipe and probably key to the mousse setting however someone else may have a better idea than me, I'm no expert...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itsa1231
Back