confused about growbags

Mrs P

Reaction score
Hello mums!
I was under the impression that babies can sleep in those grow bags from newborn, but having spoken to a work mate this morning who has a 18 month son, tells me they can only sleep in them from a certain weight.

What else can they sleep under as i hear they cant have a quilt till they are 1 year. IM CONFUSED :? :?

Amy

Cellular blankets are the norm to cover babies with when they sleep. I've not really used a sleeping bag, but I am sure you can use them earier than a quilt, I know alot of girls on here have used them.

They have a weight of 10lb on them, but I put Ella in hers from when she was around a week old (about 7lb 8oz then).

:D :D Oh thanks you guys! This is my first and im panicing about every little detail!

Little bun is due christmas day and i dont want it to be too cold in the depths of winter!

Ella came Boxing Day and I was really worried that she was too hot/cold. That's why we moved her onto a grobag from blankets and things. A nice 2.5 tog and a sleepsuit and vest and bub will be nice and snug :D

Cellular balnkets are warm too, Damien was born a week before Xmas preemie but he was always warm and toastie as I could swaddle him in his in a sheet then lay a blanket on him :)

Like Kina i used one for alex from around a week old (was 7lb 6 when born so was between that and 8lb. i think they play it safe with the 10lb thing as they way they are designed they cant go up over the face or anything. up to you of course though! :D

xxxxxxxxxxx

I used a thin one quite early on with Brody. I'd just get s 1 tog one for at first maybe?

You don't really need one though, I never used one with Mason, although I wish I had done now.

to mrs p , yes the other girls are correct, the growbags or sleep pods state on them they can be used from 10 lbs in weight, so near enough newborn.

i'm getting one i think they are a great idea. :D

i never used them with alex and chris but they have been a god send with ryan, as our old house didnt have central heating i used it from about 2 wks old he was about 8 n half llb, he's into his second size one now 12 - 36 months and it is fab!! would definately recommend them :D

Blankets are better for newborns as you can easily add to or take away depending on the temp, as newborns cant regulate their temperature, therefore growbags are not so suitable as over heating is a factor in cot death. I started with sheets and blankets with Noah then when he was older and and lot more mobile I changed over to grow bags cause he kept wriggling out from his covers no matter how well I tucked him in!

Dior was born 5lb 50z she lost weight and went down to 4lb 6oz i still had her in her growbag she looked silly and her body came out of the hole for the head but i wanted her to grow attatched to it :)

Highly recommend grobags. Isaac has recently started using his, we waited until we was over 10lbs plus it was so hot over the summer that he was sleeping in only a nappy during July.

2.5 togs are for the winter months and 1.0 togs are for the warmer months. Keep and eye out in Mamas & Papas, I found theirs to be the best and they often have nice ones in the sales.

A lot of my friends/family swore by them and I have to agree they are brill. Saves faffing blankets too.

I think they seem good in the respect that they cannot kick them off and cannot go 'under' them as they are 'in them' so to speak.

I have heard they can prevent cot death because of this.

Im buying both, blankets and growbags.

For the first few weeks we just used a blanket and wrapped it round Jamie & tucked it under the matress in his moses basket so it stayed in place then we went onto grobags, they are the best invention, I never have to worry about him suffocating.
He also associates this with bedtime too so always goes straight off to sleep, when we used blankets he would always fuss before dropping off.

Def. recommend them.

at what temp does the room have to be when i can start using my 2.5 tog? xx

Keely said:
at what temp does the room have to be when i can start using my 2.5 tog? xx

What's your room temp now? Ella's is still around 24-25 so we use her 1 tog.

I've just bought one which says the baby has be 8lb to sleep in it. I got mine from a shop on ebay and they sell them in three different sizes and two different togs..one of them they can sleep in all year round and the other is for the summer. I love them they are so cute..... :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back