chest infection - what have your doctors said?

Sage

Reaction score
Kyrans picked up a nasty cold and cough from nursery. Hes fine in himself, just finding it harder to settle before bedtime and in the night since his nose is so blocked. Hes got a nasty chesty cough, which sounds worse than i think it is as hes fine in the day and still eating well. As he doesnt seem that ill it seems pointless me taking him to the docors as im sure they'll tell me there is nothing they can give for a chest infection? am i right? or has your doctor ever prescribed anything for a chesty cough?

It's colds they can't prescribe anything for hun but if he's very chesty there might be something they can give him (though docs are always reluctant to give antibiotics now). Hope Ky feels better soon :hug: :hug:

poor little Ky! :hug: :hug:

this was James last week, exactly the same and they gave him antibiotics which he finsihed yesterday. Im sure they will give you some because the doc said to me LO's tend to get infections very quickly xxx

Just an update to say he was really bad today and the back of his mouth seemed really red and inflamed so we took him to the out of hour doctors and he said he has a chest and and viral infection. aww my poor little man :( they really do catch everything in nursery! hes on antibiotics now so hopefully will be better soon!

I'd keep an eye on it Sage.. not to worry you but Ryan's cough started off as a 'viral infection' and he's still got it 5 months on and having to use inhalers and he's got the Asthma clinic at the end of the month.

Not to say that's what it is, but if the cough doesn't go away keep an eye on it. Also when I told people about Ryans cough they always asked me if it was worse at night, so maybe that is a symptom of something too?

I could be completely wrong, but I just thought I'd mention it as what you wrote sounds just like what I wrote some months back xx

thanks leckershell. it definitely could be something to consider. hes happier in himself now and finishes his antibiotics tomorrow (absolute nightmare trying to get him to take it!) Hes not coughing as much and is settling better in the night but it still sounds awful and just as bad when he does actually cough. Hes had it for 9 days now so its going on a bit.

Sage said:
thanks leckershell. it definitely could be something to consider. hes happier in himself now and finishes his antibiotics tomorrow (absolute nightmare trying to get him to take it!) Hes not coughing as much and is settling better in the night but it still sounds awful and just as bad when he does actually cough. Hes had it for 9 days now so its going on a bit.

No worries, I didn;t mean to worry you, just thought I'd mention it cos you never know. Stick at it if you're not happy - I think I saw 3 different doctors before I even got the inhalers... one said he was a "happy wheezer" and that it's normal (I'm sorry but I don't think a cough like that is normal), and one told me to put like menthol and steam in the bathroom when he has baths (he's not congested mate, hes blatantly got a cough that ent budging and you think vic rub is gonna help??)... so we eventually got inhalers but it took a couple of months cos I felt like I was making a fuss out of nothing.

Hope he gets better but if the cough persists, keep on at the doctor until you find something that helps... it's so frustrating when you know something's wrong and they keep batting it, but it's not something you wanna leave. Nat's sister had an asthma attack sort of thing at 9 months after several visits to the doctors saying shes fine nothing wrong with her... so that's why I was uber vigilant about Ryans cough, didn't want the same thing to happen and it be left til an emergency for someone to take me seriously.

God sorry that was a bit scary sounding.. sorry :doh: xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back