Cant enjoy pregnancy due to family "tempting fate"

jennifer1981

Reaction score
I am so excited about being pregnant :cheer: We were trying for 6 months and it is a very wanted baba.

We have been buying bits and bobs (not much yet just vests, sleep suits etc) and we only started buying these after the 20 week scan.

Im 25 weeks this week and on the weekend Boots had a great offer on the Silver Cross pram we had decided on. It is double points on prams and it had 20% off. So my partner and i decided to buy it while the offer was on. I did say that i didn't want it to be stored in our house and we asked his mum if she would keep it at hers. She gave us a big talk about how we shouldn't buy anything like that as it is "tempting fate" etc and my family gave me the same talk.

It put me on a downer straight away.

I am well aware that im only 24ish weeks and things can go wrong... but things can go wrong at any stage of the pregnancy and it's not as if we have been buying from when i was in the early stages. I just feel like i cant enjoy things properly and that we are gonna have to leave it until the last minute to get things sorted :(

Is anyone else like this?

Fair enough if you were really early on but your over halway there!! If I had the cash to buy a pram I would have got mine after my 20 week scan. Its up to you when and how you do things. :D
Everyone will have an opinion on something to do with the pregnancy and after baby is born. You learn to ignore it eventually!! :lol:

I've heard a few people say stuff like this lately and I think it's a strange attitude to have - apparently you can put a deposit down and most shops will keep hold of your pram for you "just in case" :? It's such a horrible mentality - ok, you're not gonna go rushing out and buy everything before 12 weeks but by 20 - 24 weeks there's no reason to think your baby won't be fine! To me it's like saying "I won't book a holiday next year in case I get some illness and can't go".....xx

Loads of people like to put a downer on things like that. I got my pram with Aaron before my 20 week scan because it had a great offer that would have ended and he was fine. If you've had your scan and you're happy then congrats on your new pram :D

Just get it! If its a good deal you'll kick yourself for not getting it when it was a bargain just because of silly superstitions. If anything is going to happen then it will regardless of whether or not you bought a pram- although I've been exactly the same myself until recently when I started thinking about how much we need to get and how I don't want to buy it all in a rush and waste money. (i like to bargain hunt!) My sister is giving me a few bits this weekend and after my scan in April i'll be going to get my pram. Go get it and enjoy your new pram!

Oh I had this during my pregnancy too, don't listen. Buying a pram isn't going to make anything bad happen nor prevent it happening. :hug:

Thats not really fair of them to say that as probably in there day there wasnt the selection etc etc

I bought my pram for my son who is now 5 after my 20 week scan, and from 24 weeks your baby is know as 'viable' and able to breath on it own, im going for a weekend away wwhen i am 22 week and when i get back i am ordering my pram - i cannot wait!!

If you were pre 12 weeks id understand there point of view, just ignore them and dont let them spoil your fun!!

Gems x x

P.S The only thing i would say as im supersticious dont store the pram at home x x x

Hi there,

I've got to admit my mother is superstitious and always has been and some of it (annoyingly) has rubbed off so I have to keep telling myself that it's silly. Also, what do women do who are onto their 2nd, 3rd baby.. do they take all their baby things that are stored in their houses and store them in someone elses? or throw them out/pass them on just to buy new ones again? I don't think so.. it's a silly thing and it's not very tactful for people to be filling our heads with silly superstitions at this most vulnerable time when we worry about absolutely everything anyway! :evil:

I got my Silver Cross 3D from Boots in a similar sale to you and it saved us tonnes of money - I was just 19 weeks pregnant.

You've got to buy it sometime, and most babies are OK in the end!

Tell your family to sod off - or buy it and don't tell them? :rotfl:

I think your at a good point to be able to buy the bigger things for sure :) If you've found a good deal (and you can't better it online) then go for it.

I was leery of buying much before 24 weeks tbh but not because of superstition. Part of it was practical (returning things etc) and part was the emotional side of things. I've not really let my feelings run away with me and have only really gotten into buying things now I'm where I am. We'd have bought a bit more a few weeks ago but its been hectic so we left it. But I really tend to remain pretty calm about shopping for things. It was lovely to go last weekend, but after 2 hours of discussing pros and cons of certain items, choosing bedding and so on I was actually glad to get out of the store :roll:

If you don't want to store it at your house then maybe ask a friend? We ordered our travel system but its staying at the shop till I go into labour. I'd have it here but tbh its clutter I don't need to worry about right now. Plenty of time for that later :lol:

I got this all the time when I was pregnant with Nathan :roll: It worried me for abit but then I seen the travel system I wanted and had the money so I bought it and brought it home to see if I liked it ect. I also done the same with the cot :) So from around 28 weeks ish I had everything for Nathan in the house, pushchair, cot and everything else he needed and he is fine :)

This time I have no choice but to have baby things in the house anyway and will be buying the double pushchair and crib ect soon aswell :)

Try not to let it worry you and enjoy shopping :D :hug:

I would ignore the negativity hun :hug: It does seem a bit crazy as you are over halfway now. I could understand a degree of apprehension before 12 weeks but I definitely wouldn't miss out on a good bargain because of other people. To echo what someone else said not buying baby stuff is not going to prevent anything bad from happening just as going out and buying stuff is not going to increase the chances of bad things either.

I hope they haven't spoiled your shopping trip too much :hug:

Thanks for replying everyone

Its just so frustrating coz i kind of set a target for myself (i.e. when i would start buying baby stuff) and feel that now is the right time. It's just everyone else is putting me off.

I think im just gonna do what i want from now on as i have missed out on the pram now anyway :x

I tried to talk to OH about saving and starting to buy stuff at the weekend, and even he had the same kind of response, but couldn't give an answer when I said that anything oculd happen at any stage. He agreed in the end and we bought all our baby bath stuff on Sunday as it was on offer.

For us, we need to think about the money side of things so buying bits as we go, and when they're on offer is the best way really and I like to be organised! We already bought loads of Johnsons baby stuff at about 11 weeks - including a hamper that is now 3 times the cost so glad we did!

my mum is the same hun..

she's still doing it now and i got really upset when she started again last week so she went out and bought our little man his first teddy, which was really sweet of her :)

being honest i know she's just being cautious, but i'm not like that at all. she's still like that now, everytime we go out she'll look at things and say -oh thats nice but it's still too early..

then sometimes i'll panic and remember that i don't have anything yet really :shock: i'm not too bothered though, as mum is buying the pram, so i can't really force her into buying it right now anyways :rotfl: plus - it would just make me want little man to hurry up and make me more excited to have a pram sitting about :rotfl:

Ahh hun, I'm sorry you missed out on your deal. There will be PLENTY of other offers so don't fret :D

My view on this topic is that when I bought LOADS of things after my 12 week scan, my heart told me to buy it, I'm going to be a single mum, spend my money on baby before I can spend it on myself and just buy bits each month with my wages... My logic told me that although I agreed with my heart and shopped shopped shopped, there might be a day where I tearfully pack it all away again waiting a good few years before I'm even in this situation again!

As long as people know the facts that things CAN unfortunately happen, who gives a sh*t? I'd have given someone a right mouthful if they started saying I was silly for buying things early because it's ME that would have to deal with it!

Anyway, you're at a great stage so stick that tongue out and blow a big fat raspberry if anyone says anything else :shakehead: :hug: xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back