Breastfeeding

Tegala-7thMarch08

Reaction score
i was just told that it stops your periods and its not very sucsessful to ttc whilst breastfeeding is that true??? im kinda confused... :?

Have read other threads that it does stop your periods therefore it sort of acts as contraception but this should def not be your only form doesn't really matter for me as won't be having sex anyway!! :lol: hope that helped! xx

My aunt got breastfed up to and throughout her next two pregnancies, so it definitely wasn't true for her! I've never heard either way, but I have often seen pregnant women breastfeeding and I assume they didn't stop and resume again once they conceived.

A friend of mine fell pregnant with her 2nd when her first was only 7 weeks old and she was still breastfeeding.

I havent had my periods back yet, and dont want them LOL. Although doc has given me the pill to take 1 month ago, but I havent got round to it. Not that I will be getting up to anything LOL hubby still on sofa :)

moss said:
My aunt got breastfed up to and throughout her next two pregnancies, so it definitely wasn't true for her! I've never heard either way, but I have often seen pregnant women breastfeeding and I assume they didn't stop and resume again once they conceived.
I think everyone knows at least one person who's gotten pregnant while on the pill too... :rotfl:

http://www.fhi.org/en/RH/Pubs/factsheet ... eeding.htm

breastfeeding reduces your fertility but does not necessarily prevent pregnancy 100%. It has the same ability as a birth control as the withdrawal method and the rhythm method. many people swear by these methods but the only 100% sure fire way to prevent pregnancy is not having sex...and thats no fun :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

yeah it stops ur periods- melissa is 8 months and iv had no period since july 2006! :cheer: :dance:

it is 98% effective contraception- if u only BF (no bottles solids or expressing) and ur baby is under 6 months. check this out

i used no other contraception until melissa was 5 months old and did not get pregnant, so in my experience it was more reliable than the pill- which i DID get pregnant on :lol:

yes so i believe it would be difficult to TTC while BF

Squiglet said:
moss said:
I think everyone knows at least one person who's gotten pregnant while on the pill too... :rotfl:

http://www.fhi.org/en/RH/Pubs/factsheet ... eeding.htm

breastfeeding reduces your fertility but does not necessarily prevent pregnancy 100%. It has the same ability as a birth control as the withdrawal method and the rhythm method. many people swear by these methods but the only 100% sure fire way to prevent pregnancy is not having sex...and thats no fun :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

does it only reduce your firtilty whilst bfing cos i do want more children later on in life.. i feel rele stupid asking these questions but as i am breastfeeding well going to try and do it.. i want to know all the facts if u no wat i mean :oops:

I don't know anyone who has gotten pregnant on the pill! But I was speaking to my mother just now. I'm an only child but both of my aunts breastfed up until the birth of their second and third (in one case) children, and my grandmother had five and breastfed for years until the last one was finished. Ouch, by the way.

Someone I know from my old work was only back from her maternity leave for about a month before she went off on maternity leave again for the very reason that she thought BF was enough of a contraceptive!

I got pregnant on the pill, too, though it was probably more to do with the fact I was crap at remembering to take it (we were both aware of this) :rotfl:

It has no long term effects on your fertility, check out my ticker ;) If anyhting I fell pregnat quicker the second time round (i.e. after one drunk night out :twisted: ) then I did the first planned time ;)

beanie said:
It has no long term effects on your fertility, check out my ticker ;) If anyhting I fell pregnat quicker the second time round (i.e. after one drunk night out :twisted: ) then I did the first planned time ;)

thank you :hug:

thanks everyone :hug: :hug:

keli said:
Have read other threads that it does stop your periods therefore it sort of acts as contraception but this should def not be your only form doesn't really matter for me as won't be having sex anyway!! :lol: hope that helped! xx

Haha! How I got pregnant I'll never know... I used to have a headache every night! x

I don't think there is one general rule, it really is different for eveybody. I breastfed my son and started my period about a month after giving birth - actually I'd only stopped bleeding from the birth about a week earlier, so it seemed especially quick! So I'd say do not rely on it as a contraceptive because what works for one might not work for you. You just can't predict when your periods will start gain after birth, they will come when your body is ready, so guessing at it is clearly not the way to go! However, if you want to TTC while breastfeeding then that's a different matter - there is no harm in trying!

I just read more and the research says that it can help prevent conception before the period resumes, but that it doesn't stop the period from coming back. Some women take longer than others to resume periods after pregnancy. It also says that it is not effective in preventing conception after about six months, whether or not periods have resumed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back