Breastfeeding Mums - nursing baby to sleep

frances2009

Reaction score
My son is 11 weeks and I exclusively BF. He goes to bed at 7pm and gets up about 7am. In the night he usually feeds at 3.30am and 5.30am.

When I put him to bed, he falls alseep when I'm nursing him and I transfer him straight to his cot without waking him. Usually he'll start to cry about 15 minutes or so after I have left him and I wait to see if he settles himself and if not, I go back and nurse him until he is asleep again. He always takes more milk. Sometimes I have to do this 3 times before he settles. I used to try to comfort him without nursing but if never seemed to work so now I don't try...

Does anyone else do something similar to this? Is it normal?

Once he is asleep, he sleeps soundly until I hear him smacking his lips at around 3am.

I don't burp him if he sleeps after feeding... Does everyone else?

I have done similar singe OScar was born and he's 4 months now. The only difference being, he comes to bed with us at about 10pm, something I said would never happen as myothers were in bed by 7pm sharp.

I nurse him to sleep and when I think he's asleep, detatch him from me. I always give him a few minutes to get himself into a deeper sleep and then transfer him to his cot. He also wakes 2ce for a feed. God knows what time lol! And the last one, I usually fall asleep with him next to me. He sleeps til about 8.30 - 9 if I let him. If I have to do the school run I get him up at8 just before we leave.

What you are doing sounds perfectly normal to me. It sounds like he's well into his routine of takig time to settle. Maybe this is something he'll grow out of when he's bigger x

Matt goes to bed at 7pm too and he usually falls asleep after a good feed, he will feed then I wind him, then he might have some more as it seems after he has been winded he makes more room? He will go down if he is sleepy but more often than not he has fallen asleep on the boob! As he has already pulled himself off before he drops off he tends to be happy to stay asleep, however, if he doesnt bring his wind up he will wake up soon after going down - it is essential that I wind him. In the daytime Matt will go in his cot for a nap usually wide awake, then he will settle himself. It doesnt seem that easy to do at night time for some reason! hope this makes sense, Im very tired as I type! :)

Rosie's Mum, if Matt falls asleep on the boob do you still wind him? If so, what position do you think is best not to wake him up? My little one doesn't settle himself in his cot during the day either although I don't have to nurse him to sleep, he goes down after a cuddle.

When he wakes again after he's settled, I've always thought it is because he gets comfort from sucking... Perhaps should try harder to wind him but find it very difficult to get a burp out of him :(

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back