• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Bleaching Hair

sunnymommy

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm a 1st time mommy, 11 weeks pregnant. It wasn't planned so I've been caught off guard with the do's and don'ts of pregnancy. While I've done my research there is one thing that I couldn't get a definite answer on and that's bleaching hair while pregnant. I bleached it 3 months ago before I found out I was pregnant at 8 weeks. I now have my dark brown roots showing and was wondering if I could have it bleached again. Is it safe? Should I wait until my 2nd trimester? I'm seeing my OBGYN again soon and I'll be asking her the same thing but I just wanted to check what others have to say on the topic. Thanks! x

if your getting the hairdresser to do it then it should be fine, hair dyeing is ok but they advise to not let it touch the scalp, especially bleach.

I found it soo hard to get any clear info on this one too, Was gonna just go with highlights to avoide the scalp but then decided to just change colour as I been blonde for ever now anyway n figured it was a good excuse but it turned out the completly wrong colour LOL apparently this can happen ocasionally and so I think this is also half the reason the advise against it

It took me 4 more darker and darker colours for it too end up any sort of acceptable to be out in public colour lol, My hairdresser who has viberent pink hair said the colour was horrendous and would not let me leave the salon LOL

Im sure you will be fine but maybe worth finding out if there a way of testing the colour be it blonde or something else on a piece of hair to make sure your not one of the unlucky ones

they reckon somehting like foil highlights are ok as long as not left on too long or done too often as it doesnt touch the scalp

but they advise against directly bleeching your hair as it can be absorbed into the skin

I'm not sure about bleach but i have been asking the question about home colouring/box dyes for ages. From what i've seen there's no definitive evidence that says you shouldn't do it, just that there's a possibility that it could turn out a slightly different colour. As people have said, pregnant hairdressers are exposed to dyes on a daily basis and if there was anything harmful in hair dye then surely it would affect people whether they were pregnant or not? You may want to check with your midwife just to check, but as far as i know it should be ok. Even if chemicals are absorbed by the body i don't think it's enough to cause any harm....

I did it in my first tri. I've now gone darker and more 'nautral' as when I have a newborn I wont want to be fiddling around with hair die

I did my hair with a box dye in tri1 (not realising I probably shouldve waitied) wasnt bleach though. I did have my hair bleached with foils 2 weeks ago, that was left on for about an hour or so. Like some of the others have said I'd probs wait till tri2 if you can and go to a salon and just make sure they know you're pregnant. The only thing I've found with dying my hair (at the salon and from a box) is that it doesnt last as long as it normally does. Not sure if thats just me lol. Luckily I havent had my hair go any funny colours! x

Thank you dears! I do hear that its advisable not to let it touch the scalp and to stay in a well ventilated area. I'll let you guys know what my OBGYN advises me. x

I decided not to bleach my roots after all. It was just too much to risk. I am at 20 weeks now and waiting it out ;)

im the same hun. usually i have to bleach a portion of mine that i then dye pink and i dye the rest black. ive done the pink and black a couple of times but im avoiding bleach til ive had babs

i wasnt too sure about this either so i waited until i was 12 weeks at my MW appointment to ask her. she assured me it was safe xx

I usually have 3 shades done (including a bleach/blonde) with foils and had them done at 29 weeks..................it didn't take at all:wall2:my roots do look 'slightly' lighter but I hate my hair now!!!

So will be waiting til Bubs is here before buying my usual boxed colour from the chemist at a tenth of the price of those bloody foils!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clark Gracen
Back