• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Birthing Unit

gems

Reaction score
Hi Mums

My midwife has put me down to give birth in the birthing unit instead of the hospital this time. I found the hospital to be really good last time but I'm really looking forward to this as there are birthing pools and it sounds like its a more relaxed, nice environment. I would love to hear from some of you that have given birth in a birthing unit instead of a hospital. How was it? Also would love to hear from anyone that has experience of giving birth in both and would love to hear your experiences. Thanks in advance for any replies!

Gemma x x x x

My first birth was at a birth centre, i had a completely drug free water birth, it was a long labour but so calm and peaceful.

My 2nd was born in theatre in a main hospital, it was rushed, terribly scary, harrowing and mentally scarring but very very quick.

If i was planning a 3rd i would choose to have the birth centre birth, sadly my hospital birth and problems mean i would likely have a section at 37weeks hence i am not having a 3rd (i think :rotfl: :think: )

The birth centre was lovely but in hindight i would choose one which isnt 10 miles from the hospital. I would love to go to one which has the calm atmosphere but the convenience and safety of the hospital if things go wrong.

I didn't actually give birth in a birrth centre, but I did have the beginning of my labour there (until I needed an epi). It was a birth centre within the hospital though, which was great as I knew that I was only a lift ride away from the doctors etc if anything was to go wrong. I could have gone to the same birth centre as Kelly, but chose not too as I didn't want to have to worry about ambulances etc if anything went wrong. Plus, I have friends who went there, wanted an epi and by the time they got an ambulance to them and got them into hosp it was too late and they had to do it without! I didn't want to risk that as I am a total wuss! :rotfl: :rotfl:

It was a lovely atmosphere, all dimmed lights and very quiet. We had a private room even though I was only 3 cms when we arrived and we stayed in that until I went down to the labour ward. The labour ward was also fine for me, as I had a private room, but it was much more clinical, all bright lights and machines - but I had an epi by that point so was hooked up to the machines!

My first birth was in hospital. All the labour suites were full so I was shoved in a side room on a ward on my own and because it was nightime no one was allowed to stay with me. There were no baths or showers free for pain relief. Everything was rushed and I felt like the staff didn't have time to give me much attention. Most of the time I had no staff with me and they only came running when I was shouting because I was fully dilated and had the urge to push. I was terrified! There was a rush to get me down to a delivery suite in time and at one point there was panic that I might give birth in the lift! I had pethidine for pain relief and gave birth on my back in bed.
The birth was still a great experience though and one of the best times of my life!

My second labour was in a midwife led unit and it was much nicer. I had one midwife who stayed with me and gave back massages and I really felt relaxed despite having no pain relief apart from a tens machine. I was the only woman in labour there. I gave birth in the birthing pool which was a lovely experience, as soon as I got into the water the pain become much more bearable and I felt so calm and relaxed. By the time Logan came out under water there was a shift change so I had 3 midwives all to myself! It was a much calmer and more natural experience, although it was more painful due to lack of drugs I felt much more in control and not at all scared.

I gave birth to Conifold in a midwife-led unit. I had a water birth in a HUGE pool in a "home from home" room with carpets and curtains etc. The sunlight was streaming through the windows too. I had one midwife looking after me and she stayed with me the whole time and never left the room. There were no other people giving birth the same day (midwife led units are less popular as a lot of people are scared something may go wrong).

My husband was allowed to stay all day every day and they were very lenient with visiting hours for other visitors. I was the only patient for 3 days (could have left after 12 hours but I elected to stay to get the hang of looking after a baby). They showed me changing a nappy, bathing, feeding, sterlising bottles etc as many times as I needed to see it before I was confident. They looked after me when my dad was a w*nker on the phone to me too and talked to me for an hour afterwards.

Totally unlike hospital in short, and I did get a v brief glimpse into hospital as I had to go there for 12 hours after I gave birth to Flod - completely different experience.

Will definitely do midwife-led again next time. HA HA HA next time (!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Salata Sara
Back