Bf question

Hope81

Reaction score
Trying here to get informed so I have a good chance to actually do that when the bean is here but keep getting conflicting advice whole googling....

So do I offer one boob every time baby feeds or both? How do I know of baby drained the first one and then offer the other one?
Next time I fees do i start from the different boob or first offer the last one?
Thanks and sorry for the so silly questions yet again :blush:

You'll know when boob needs changing as baby will usually start fussing, so time to switch boobs.

If baby only feeds off one side during a feed, start with that boob next time and then switch over. That way you make sure that baby is getting through to the hind milk.

If baby only feeds for 10 mins or under (in the early days) they are just having a drink. When they get older a feed will usually only last 10 mins because they are so efficient at doing it.

One of the great places for BFing is kellymom.com. And there is also a FB group called Leaky Boobs too that are great xxx

I'm afraid you'll probably get conflicting advice on here too, but this is what I was advised....

Offer both boobs at each feed.

Your LO will most likely fall off the first boob or fall asleep when they're done. Either that or you will notice that they're just suckling and not actually feeding anymore, in which case you can wait till they fall off or break the seal with your finger and take them off.

You can tell they are feeding by the long slow sucks, with movement right up to the top of their jaw above their ear and by hearing swallowing.

When they are just suckling the sucks tend to be quicker and you will not hear any swallows. They often suck for a while and then take little breaks. The sucking is also not as strong as when feeding.

I was advised to offer a different boobs the next time - so if LO takes right then a little of left, start on the left next time.

My LO often likes a little break between boobs, so I might use that as an opportunity to change her nappy - sometimes she takes both boobs, but often one will do. However, she is a bit of a 'snacker' so she feeds little and often.

I hope that helps. Good luck! xxx

Last edited:
As she said above you will get conflicting advise on here I was told offer one boob then offer the next at the next feed and alternate between them. It wasnt that simple for me tho cos both my lo's couldnt feed off my left.

Sent from my E15i using Tapatalk

The advice I was given from antenatal classes was to offer one boob per feed. They insisted on this for some reason so that was what I did for the first few weeks. They also said if baby needs feeding within the hour offer the same breast.

When my LO was having a growth spurt she started messing about and getting angry on the breast. I can only put this down to her not getting enough (I was sticking to the one boob thing) so I offer the second when she starts doing it and I've been doing that for the past week or so.

My boobs usually feel soft/empty at that point too so I guess she has drained it.

I did worry about it though because it means baby can end up with more foremilk if they only take a bit off the second breast but it doesn't seem to be causing any problems here.

I have found breastfeeding challenging in the last few weeks but I'm stubborn so I'm sticking at it (at the detriment to my mental health at times)

Thank you everyone, I suppose I will try and see what will happen. I am so scared of breast feeding :(
And I also hate sleeping with a bra on lol:blush:
Torino you do fantastic, I can only hope I can do as good as you :hug: I hope it gets easier for you soon :love:

Thank you everyone, I suppose I will try and see what will happen. I am so scared of breast feeding :(
And I also hate sleeping with a bra on lol:blush:
Torino you do fantastic, I can only hope I can do as good as you :hug: I hope it gets easier for you soon :love:

Don't be scared, it's what our bodies are made to do!! I was nervous at first, but once you get confident you do it in your sleep!

Also maternity bras are soooo comfy and at first you will be happy to sleep in a bra lol And then after a while you don't even notice you are!

i was told always offer both boobs and thats what i do, my LO takes both most of the time, then start again with same boob next feed.

Dont be scared hun, i think as long as you go in with your eyes open, its very tough in the early days but once you get the hang of it and milk supply settles its great :) very rewarding. xx

I think we must all be different as I only offer one boob at a time, she fell asleep quite often on it and would only feed for5-10 mins and I wondered if she was getting the richer hind milk-But when I got her weighed at 3 weeks, she'd put on a whopping 17 oz! They recommend around 8! They said she must be a proficient feeder and I must have gold top - lol. So think it will differ for everyone. I was recommended to do only one boob to ensure they get the richer milk, if they feed a lot and it's empty ( they recommended squeezing nipple to see if it still has milk) then switch to 2nd boob and start with that one next time. I sometimes offer the 2nd in evenings as she seems fussier and have heard milk supply is at it's lowest at night.

Even at 6 months I still only feed off one boob, if I offer the 2nd he just refuses so I'm 100% sure hes getting enough from the one side per feed.

Don't worry about breastfeeding, it is difficult in those early days but perserverance is key! It gets 100 times easier after the first few months - I absolutely love breastfeeding and cannot recommend it enough. Its a little annoying wearing a bra and breastpads all the time but you do get use to it and really its for such a short period of your life.

Best of luck for your breastfeeding journey - There is plenty of support here for you when your lo arrives xx

I only feed off one boob - then offer the opposite one the next time - unless its been a really short time for some reason then she gets the same one. occasionally use both if she starts fussing a lot after a while, i might offer the other one.

xxx

I don't sleep with a bra on I sleep buck naked ;)

The advice I was given from a breastfeeding consultant and the breastfeeding support lady was to offer both breasts, especially as a newborn. Other people think you only offer one. The important thing is that both ways work!

I was taught to give one, when it's empty they won't really want to feed off it and will probably fuss, if you try and feed them off it they'll pretty much be having none of it, so you should offer the next one. At the next feed you should offer the breast you finished on 1st.

I tried the other way with my 1st son and was regularly engorged and was scared to go out because I'd leak through even doubled up breast pads. This time around I've had no problems with my boobs and have binned the breast pads because I don't leak. So this way is what works best for me.

That being said I only offer one at night because we both fall asleep mid feed lol. I guess my body is used to working this way.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back