Best place to live as a single mum?

rhythmdivine

Reaction score
Ok so canvassing opinion on here
I"m coming up to 34 weeks, due in December.
Currently in London in a 'studio' flat (read: cupboard, barely room to swing a hamster) for about £1,100pcm incl. bills
Looking to get out of my lease end Jan when there is a break (LO will be 4-6 weeks by then)
And then..?
Ideally wherever I move to would be max. £500pcm rent, for starters...
Just looking at the options:
- living in the capital alone.. sky high prices
- sharing with another single mum in the capital..?
- moving to a 'commuter zone' (not much cheaper)
- moving to e.g. Midlands, South Wales... North? Scotland?
Where is the best place in the UK to live as a single mum?
In terms of cost of accommodation.. job market.. community / quality of life?
I have some family in the Midlands but they're advising caution on the jobs front..
Has anyone made the move? - where did you go and how did you decide?

If you have supportive family and friends then I'd suggest you move/stay near them. Though if that's not a priority/possible then you will be able to meet other new mums easily - depends on your background as to whether you'd find it appropriate but 'poorer' areas tend to go all out with support (classes, play groups etc) and will meet your criteria for rent. Don't know what your job is but I'd say if you moved to a city the jobs are around and you can choose to live in the cheaper parts - like I say, very much depends on your family priorities/your job/ what you've been used to

Good luck x

Hi there,

I think it has to be a completely individual choice - lots of factors will come into it, including some you've mentioned, such as employment opportunities and rental costs. Do you have lots of family around you? Do you like the hustle and bustle of city life or would you consider somewhere a little calmer? I'm a big fan of the North - live close to Manchester, Liverpool and Chester - but not in the centre of either city - and of course the housing is much cheaper here than in Central London. But I also live ten minutes away from my parents and a short drive from the friends I've known since school - would be reluctant to ever move from the North West if I'm honest. But if you have an extensive network of friends and family close by, then perhaps a move this far will be a little dramatic for you.

Without reading up on it more, your family's caution about the jobs market in the Midlands will probably be like lots of other regions - few areas have escaped the impact of the recession, so things are probably a lot different now than they were ten years ago. But that doesn't mean you can't make it work there. You just need to have a think about what's right for you I suppose. Make a list of your wants and needs, etc and do a load of research into the areas you're considering. I'm sure others here will have much more helpful advice to offer you :)

Thanks.. :) should say I have never learnt to drive, as have been in the capital for 10 years and never saw the point.. which maybe limits the options..

Do your research and have a proper think about it hun. Not driving is a consideration but doesn't mean you can't move outside London - just means you might need to think about nearby stations, etc when you're looking for somewhere to live. I am a massive fan of lists - can't make a decision without them - a list could be a good starting point for you.

What do you do for a living is it a job you can only get in the capital or is it something you could find again easily out in the sticks?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back