been paid my maternity pay - its wrong!

gemmap27

Reaction score
I got paid yesterday - I havent had my payslip in the post yet, but when I checked the online banking, I have been really over paid. They have paid me my full salary and I should have only been getting £112 a week.
I know I should ring them and tell them, but we could really use the money!
OH says just keep it in the bank till next month and see if it happens again, If it does then tell them, and then we still have it to pay back.
I feel like Ive just robbed a bank or something. I work for a large company and to be honest the £450 difference probably wouldnt even get noticed. I can always claim that I have been far too busy to check the bank account.
What would you do??
:think: :think:

In all honesty, I would keep it, don't spend it yet but keep it. If they do notice you can pay it back as an arrangement anyway, like £50 a month or something.

Ive already had the 6 weeks at 90% and was expecting to have had a months salary at £112 per week.
I still havent had my payslip - they normally post it to me.
My OH suggested it may have been a tax rebate, I am hoping the payslip is in todays post, so I can find out what they have done.

Urchin said:
chickadee1976 said:
You should get 6 weeks at 90% full pay first

that depends on who you work for though....

No, I don't think it does, that's standard with SMP - 6 weeks at 90% and 33 weeks at £117 a week. MA is different though.

I would tell them I think but only because I've been burnt in the past - I was overpaid for a few months and didn't notice (new job and though tax was different or something) and had to pay most of it back - I felt like I'd stolen something, it was horrible.

Valentine Xxx

valentine said:
Urchin said:
chickadee1976 said:
You should get 6 weeks at 90% full pay first

that depends on who you work for though....

No, I don't think it does, that's standard with SMP - 6 weeks at 90% and 33 weeks at £117 a week. MA is different though.

I would tell them I think but only because I've been burnt in the past - I was overpaid for a few months and didn't notice (new job and though tax was different or something) and had to pay most of it back - I felt like I'd stolen something, it was horrible.

Valentine Xxx

Sorry I didn't mean it like that, thats the basic minimum what you get yeah, but some people get more than that, like full pay for a longer time. I was just saying cos she didn't say how long she's been off on maternity for.

I would check with them because if they do spot it you'll be expected to pay it back. That would mean paying back money you don't have or if you go back to work you'll end up having it deducted from your salary.

You never know - you might be the one who's wrong! :pray:

DH got overpaid for nearly a year and no one noticed as it was an over payment on over time. I didn't notice either as his payslips were confusing. We had to pay the lot back and it took us a year.

The HR man who's fault it was rung me to say he needed it all back in one lump :shock: , I told him we couldn't do that and said £50 per month which he said wasn't good enough and that we should be able to afford it (how the hell does he know what our bills are???) and he needed it back by the end of the tax year. I guessed from this that he was trying to cover it up and not tell the big bosses so I suggested we put it all in email with the big bosses copied in on it and he soon changed his tune :lol: .

I think they are legally entitled to ask for it all back in one lump I was just lucky that I had the bargaining tool of the HR man trying to cover his mistake.

I wouldnt say anything honey :shhh: there mistake afterall!! If it does get noticed then pay back a little a month, doubt they will though! :cheer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itsa1231
Back